Prescribe me a guitar

Started by FuzzFace, January 19, 2011, 02:05:53 PM

FuzzFace

This may be fun.  I will describe my needs for a guitar, and you guys can suggest the best fit.

Here are my needs:

- Be able to just plug it in and play without too many knobs and settings to fuss with
- When distorted, needs to be wild and unpredictable, sounds going off in all directions
- Needs to be able to make a clean tone that does not sound like a duck quacking
- Needs to be a brand other than Epiphone and Ibanez
- No more expensive than it needs to be

- Gets points for style, but sound comes first.

Kenneth

Telecaster. Squier classic vibe may be a good choice if you want low $ , but all the good stuff.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Kenneth

The other one I was thinking was a Les Paul jr. for simplicity and outrageous distortion sounds , but they can be pricey for the Gibson. Maybe a Gibson Melody Maker, or one of these :

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3947.html

They are in the States, but he factors in duty and exchange on your bill, so what you pay online is what you pay, and it shows up at your door. If you dont like it he easily refunds , but you have to pay the shipping costs, so you take your chances.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Greeny

TELECASTER! Look no further than that. Simple and robust, and does both clean and dirty with aplomb. The only choice is whether you go for a Squier or a Jap-built 'authentic' Fender. As Kenneth says, the Squier classic vibes have been given great reviews, so well worth a look. I have a Japanese Fender Tele, and it's been my main and favourite guitar for almost 5 years. Actually, I might be a bit Telecaster-biased, so get some more recommendations first!

64Guitars

I really like Godin guitars. http://www.godinguitars.com/godinwhatsnewp.htm

I've owned two Gibsons and an Ibanez. They were pretty good guitars but I like my Godin xtSA a lot more. Excellent build quality, great sound, and extremely versatile (2 humbuckers, 1 single coil, and piezo bridge transducers for acoustic sound and synth access).

Check them out. I think you'll be impressed. And they're made in Quebec (La Patrie and Richmond).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Migs

Quote from: Greeny on January 19, 2011, 02:29:54 PMThe only choice is whether you go for a Squier or a Jap-built 'authentic' Fender.
...0r a Made in Mex Tele which I have.
Mine is a 1989 with a few changes.  Frets fixed/filed, 4 way switch, replaced pups and the 6 saddle bridge back to the 3 saddle brass job.  I like it.

Just start playing a few of them and one will feel right.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on January 19, 2011, 02:05:53 PM- Needs to be a brand other than ......... and Ibanez
I can't help you then ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SdC

Gibson Les Paul BFG (but not the Gary Moore signature; the regular series which is already discontinued so may be hard to find, but I saw one for under 900 Euro the other day).

recorder
Boss BR-600

henwrench

They've all said it...... TELECASTER. Which one? How much you got?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR