Viola Pick up

Started by blueviolet, December 19, 2007, 03:09:08 PM

Hello!

I'm not sure if this post fits in this section (and please excuse my english), but I'm a "newbie"..

I'm portuguese, and I play the Viola (most people call it a "big violin"), a 'classical' instrument.

Well, I don't like to stereotype things and I certainly don't play classical music only, so I'll go straight to the point: Could anyone help me find a good pick up for the viola? I've bought a cheap one, a few years ago, don't even remember the brand (if it had one), but the sound wasn't that good. My viola is not one of the best, not hand made or anything, but I think I was loosing sound quality because of the pick up.

So, if someone has experience on pickup (if there are some good, and not that expensive), and could help me, I'd aprecciate it!

PS - I'm not professional nor do I intend to be, so it does not have to be an over the top device  :)

Thank you

Oldrottenhead

had a quick look on ebay and there are a few going for under £10 uk sterling no idea of how good or bad they are but here is the link there are currently about 6 for sale.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=viola+pick+up
 think you will have to cut and paste the url into your address bar. or go to ebay and search "viola pick up"

wish you luck.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

Hi!

What a great instrument the viola is. A very underrated one, in my opinion.

I was thinking, maybe you could use an Electret Microphones(I know, I'm crazy for those). But really, with some modifications you could glue one to the Viola and maybe it could sound good. It could be seen as a pickup, really.

oldrottenhead:
Those pickups look interesting, indeed.

Anyway, more opinions are welcome.

Pedro

You should also check the Homemade piezo thread. It looks like a good alternative.

suburban behemoth

recorder
Boss BR-864