One Small Candle

Started by Bluesberry, October 10, 2023, 05:11:09 PM

Bluesberry

One Small Candle (M)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I had the old saying "Its better to light a candle than curse the darkness" in my head and decided to write a song around that saying, as the starting and ending point for the lyrics....It started out fairly simple, acoustic folky song...but along the way it grew into this....I just keep tinkering...lol...Keith added some super awesome bass to tie it all together...

One Small Candle
written/performed/recorded by Dave Berry, with some assistance from Keith Berry on bass/keys
Dave: lyrics/vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, GB drums and organ/synths
Keith: Bass, piano, mellotron
recorded on iPad/Garageband
Its better to light
One small candle
Than curse at the darkness
Do whatever feels right
But don't hesitate
Sieze the moment that's upon us

Chorus: What's done is done
What's gone is gone
One of life's lessons is
Keep moving on
Always moving on

Storms are formed behind
Storms that we feel
That's revealed by the lightenings flash
But dont pay it any mind
Just enjoy the show
Unfolding into the past

It's not the load that breaks you
It's just the way you carry it through
Keep moving forward so that momentum is on your side
And most of all enjoy the ride

From morning until night
Laugh through the misery
Feed on the mystery that surrounds us
Cause its better to light
One small candle
Than curse at the darkness

Chorus...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

man Dave,
it's gonna take me months to get out of this one!  what the hell?  I can't describe this other than it is so you and yet not so you!  It is mouth watering aural delight... kind of like jelly in a donut or maybe apple pie and ice cream...it is just so sprinkling madness greats.  I am laughing thinking of being pulverized by this amazing soundscape for 6 or 7 minutes.
yeah the bass is wicked  EPIC ENDING TOO

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

I was walking in the autumn rain while listening to this. Enjoying the sounds, taking in that character filled Bluesberry vocal sound. At first i didn't even hear the lyrics, but then suddenly the wisdom of the lyrics hit me.

A song that plays for the ears and soul.

(Ear soul music? :D).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

TPB

It is always great to hear a DAve original nice job brother
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Farrell Jackson

Good stuff Dave! The song's production and chords bring to mind Jeff Lynn's (ELO) massive style of production. Keith did well on the bass, piano and melotron. I just got to the proggy outro section of the song and it's fantastic! The whole song shows your off your songwriting skills. Nicely done!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

BerryPatch

I have to say, this might be your best production yet! You really knocked it out of the park (I love what you did to my bass, it sounds huge!). Like all your songs, it shifts through different moods yet it all comes together into one brilliant whole. Wasn't sure if I was going add keys to this but I'm glad I did, especially the mellotron. Wicked beyond words!

Ray Brookes

You and Keith produce great songs, Dave. Excellent lyrics and love those chord changes along with the stellar instrumentation.
Ray Brookes

cuthbert

Man, that ballsy bass sounds fantastic - reminds me of 'Message From the Country'-era Move. And I always love some Mellotron - choir voices?

In any case, it all sounds epic, from the lyrics and vocals to the musical arrangement. Well done!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

SE

This is massive, cool stuff, could it sound any  bigger!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

hardlock

Totally epic production. Dig the progression melodys embedded throughout. 8) 
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure