You Better Be Good To Me

Started by StephenM, November 14, 2022, 02:10:43 PM

StephenM

Be Good To Me (Stephen, VIETNAM RADIO, LQ)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
ZOLTAN DID A REMIX OF THIS.  I LOVE IT...

THIS IS A SECOND MIX ZOLTAN DID, SHORTENED IT A BIT AND DIFFERENT VOICE EFFECTS... CRAZY

you might say I got "inspired" this morning listening to this stuff while on the elliptical... so I decided to mic up my "new" acoustic drum kit that I bought for a hundred dollars.  It is a crappy set, but the snare (s) actually sound pretty good... This was 3 mics... one on the kick, one on snare and one for the 3 toms.  I am getting a set of Behringer drum mics that will be here this week.  I have no high hat or cymbals yet so none here.
Otherwise just total crazy insane cover.  With a crazy wah lead buzzing through too much of the song.  This is likely regression in recording.  I had to mix it on the Zoom old school way.  When I moved the tracks to the DAW they were all out of synch.  that hasn't happened to me since I updated to this computer.  Weird... probably would have only made things worse so I will take this and I did laugh a whole bunch doing this...
Harley Benton PRS copy on the 3 guitar tracks using the ME-25 boss effects.  Shecter bass DI into board.Not a valid attachment ID.Not a valid attachment ID.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Mike_S

You had a lot of fun doing this. I like the crazy woo hoo vocals and the drumming is good. It sounds decent on this recording. Yes it will benefit from a high hat and a cymbal or two but hey, it did the job here. Some very cool ad libbing  8) yeah man that was a whole lotta fun. My good lady made some mushroom soup about a month ago... no not those mushrooms... and it was damn tasty, highly recommended. :)

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

I'm not sure if I heard the original before I looked it up just now. It's a pretty straight-forward rock song, but Tina stopped short. You went full Velvet Underground with this.

And regarding the absence of symbols: There's an unpopular school of thought that says rock music is better without cymbals; they are in a frequency range that clashes with guitars and vocals – Peter Gabriel, Robert Fripp, Kate Bush, and yes, Velvet Underground. Good company. Keep that in mind, before you start washing away your guitars with psssss-psssss-psssss-psssss... tick-tick-tick-tick... crash!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Yes it's the Velvet UG among other things i'm hearing here. So i sent Stephen some fanmail.

Fantastic piece of delirium!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

Zoltan offered to do a remix of this.... I was happy to let him.  I really like the idea of having some other folks produce my songs.  I kind of like to see what someone else would do... I think he enhanced the best parts of the tracks.  The drums sound way bigger.  I like the way he redid the vocals.  The guitars are better too...
I would say if I had this over I would make it around 3:30.  Truthfully I kind of kept it the same length of the original track that I covered.... but Tina is less boring say after about 3:30...
Thanks Zoltan!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

There's some seriously soulful singing and groovy playing in this one. I was kinda tempted to shorten it, but there were so many highlights that it would have been shame to do so.

The pleasure was all mine!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

I can no longer compare the original mix to the Zoltan mix, but I think it sounds much crisper. Not sure what alchemy he did, but, well done!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Digression: In the early '80s, when I lived in Phoenix, I had a musician friend, Dan, who worked in a record store, and was really into the Velvet Underground. But he had this kind of cherubic nerdy appearance and personality. It was hard to take him seriously as cool New York type.

Dan somehow learned that Mo Tucker, drummer for the Velvets, was semi-retired and living in the Phoenix area. He looked her up in the freakin' phone book, and called her. And she answered the phone. He was so delighted, he couldn't contain himself. He proposed getting together and playing music. And she agreed!

So they got together, and jammed a bit. He immediately started dreaming of putting together a band. Everything was coming together like a dream coming true.

He couldn't keep his mouth shut. He told me. He went to the record store and told his co-workers, including Jesse. Jesse was cool – asshole cool, not likeable cool. Jesse looked like he could have been in the Ramones, and definitely had that detached New Yorker thing going – or the west-Phoenix imitation of the detached New York thing.

Jesse also had access to a phone book. He did an end run around nerdy Dan, and ended up forming a band with Mo Tucker without Dan. The band was called Paris 1942.

Dan was pretty bummed. Had a big case of "That should've been me."

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Rene Asologuitar

Quote from: StephenM on November 14, 2022, 02:10:43 PMZOLTAN DID A REMIX OF THIS.  I LOVE IT...
++++++++++++++++
Hi Stephen,
This is truly having fun!!!
And I can feel your inspiration and spirit of pure musical freedom!!!
I am digging the guitar solo in the background, to include the vocal harmonies.
Love the "fun Stephen" version.
Thanks for sharing this inspired version!!!
With love and respect,
Rene

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on November 15, 2022, 11:51:30 AMDigression: In the early '80s, when I lived in Phoenix, I had a musician friend, Dan, who worked in a record store, and was really into the Velvet Underground. But he had this kind of cherubic nerdy appearance and personality. It was hard to take him seriously as cool New York type.

Dan somehow learned that Mo Tucker, drummer for the Velvets, was semi-retired and living in the Phoenix area. He looked her up in the freakin't phone book, and called her. And she answered the phone. He was so delighted, he couldn't contain himself. He proposed getting together and playing music. And she agreed!

So they got together, and jammed a bit. He immediately started dreaming of putting together a band. Everything was coming together like a dream coming true.

He couldn't keep his mouth shut. He told me. He went to the record store and told his co-workers, including Jesse. Jesse was cool – asshole cool, not likeable cool. Jesse looked like he could have been in the Ramones, and definitely had that detached New Yorker thing going – or the west-Phoenix imitation of the detached New York thing.

Jesse also had access to a phone book. He did an end run around nerdy Dan, and ended up forming a band with Mo Tucker without Dan. The band was called Paris 1942.

Dan was pretty bummed. Had a big case of "That should've been me."

crazy cool story and yes,,, some are cut throat.  I love the idea of having a band... but it would have to be people I can work with... I am pretty easy to work with...but I don't like aholes much...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24