What are you listening to right now?

Started by guitarhead, January 30, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

StephenM

I have often wondered if big stars get nervous.  One of Ted's songs got me thinking about Linda Ronstadt.  I found this song from the Mad Love album written by Neil Young that she did.  Listening to this just now made me think that she looks like a woman with an awful lot on her mind.  By this time in her career she was highly successful, a superstar, iconic artist.  She decided to completely flip script and go into a sort of punk, sort of new wave, sort of old fashioned rock and roll direction.  People thought she was nuts doing it.  Made a platinum album out of it too...
I had this record and listened to at least 100 times... I don't know why but watching this i got such a ache in my stomach.  Almost like this indescribable longing. She could do that to me and likely to millions.  what a talent!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_JDOsOsZVU
She looked like a woman taking a big risk. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Mike_S

Totally random find... after years of You Tube throwing up iffy suggestions today they have been great... this early seventies suggestion was fab (singer reminds me of a certain Norwegian songcrafter!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ikqpvGvuk
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

Quote from: StephenM on September 12, 2022, 02:11:51 PMShe decided to completely flip script and go into a sort of punk, sort of new wave, sort of old fashioned rock and roll direction.

This looks like good. (And Elvis Costello recommended it.)

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on September 14, 2022, 01:11:51 PM
Quote from: StephenM on September 12, 2022, 02:11:51 PMShe decided to completely flip script and go into a sort of punk, sort of new wave, sort of old fashioned rock and roll direction.

This looks like good. (And Elvis Costello recommended it.)

thanks for sharing that Ted... I gotta see that

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

ODH's cover of "Oh Bondage Up Yours" made realize that I had completely neglected X-Ray Specs in real time. Poly Styrene. I knew of them, but never got around to them.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Mach

Who remembers Michael Brewer & Tom Shipley? What about Lawrence Welk? Now, what do these two (uh three) have in common? Hold that thought. I recently watched a Documentary about The Carter & Cash Families musical contributions and of how Momma Maybelle Carter was a tremendous inspiration for many musician's around the world. Maybelle wanted to add Brewer & Shipley's song 'One toke over the Line' to the Carter Family setlist to play for a bunch pot-smoking college kids. She claims that she thought it was a 'Gospel' song because of the lyric "One toke over the line, sweet Jesus." Her grand daughter's advised her not to do it, but when they saw all those hippie kids give her a standing ovation when she walked onto the stage, they knew it wasn't a big deal after all.

So what does this have to do with Lawrence Welk? Well, I will post this link so you all can get a good laugh. Evidently, Welk's orchestra was all in on the joke and 'ol Larry hadn't a clue of what was happening. Oh, and evidently Maybelle might of had a hunch that the song was going to be a good move.

https://bestclassicbands.com/brewer-shipley-lawrence-welk-8-17-18/
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Mach on September 18, 2022, 06:55:11 PMEvidently, Welk's orchestra was all in on the joke and 'ol Larry hadn't a clue of what was happening. Oh, and evidently Maybelle might of had a hunch that the song was going to be a good move.

https://bestclassicbands.com/brewer-shipley-lawrence-welk-8-17-18/

Fantastic article. Those were weird times – mainstream America was trying to hard to be in denial about so many things – so irrationally terrified.

Speaking of which:

Those were the days: When I had extra energy to be pissed off at the wife of a Democratic senator.tas
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

First time hearing this 20-year-old song. So beautiful! This is why I usually don't try to work while listening to music.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

cuthbert

That's weird (or very meta): there's no sound? Tried playing it on youtube as well - nada.

Quote from: Ted on September 22, 2022, 02:26:19 AM
Those were the days: When I had extra energy to be pissed off at the wife of a Democratic senator.tas
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

Here's one that's new to me - Time M, by The David - a West Coast psych band, circa 1967. The video looks like it was made more recently, with some cool old clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm3i_p51wzk

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase