The Official SuggestFest suggestions topic

Started by 64Guitars, June 28, 2013, 07:29:21 PM

64Guitars

I'd like to hear Hook cover "When I'm Cleaning Windows".

When I'm Cleaning Windows
George Formby
- written by George Formby, Harry Gifford and Frederick E. Cliffe
- as recorded September 27, 1936 by George Formby (1904-1961)

Now I go cleanin' windows to earn an honest bob
For a nosy parker it's an interestin' job

Now it's a job that just suits me
A window cleaner you would be
If you can see what I can see
When I'm cleanin' windows

Honeymoonin' couples too
You should see them bill 'n coo
You'd be surprised at things they do

In my profession I'll work hard
   But I'll never stop
   I'll climb this blinkin' ladder
   Till I get right to the top

The blushin' bride, she looks divine
The bridegroom he is doin' fine
I'd rather have his job than mine

The chambermaids' sweet names I call
It's a wonder I don't fall
My mind's not on my work at all

I know a fella, such a swell
He has a thirst, that's plain to tell
I've seen him drink his bath as well

Oh, in my profession I'll work hard
   But I'll never stop

Pyjamas lyin' side by side
Ladies nighties I have spied
I've often seen what goes inside

------ banjo ukulele ------

Now there's a famous talkie queen
She looks a flapper on the screen
She's more like eightie than eighteen

She pulls her hair all down behind
Then pulls down her... never mind
And after that pulls down the blind

In my profession I'll work hard
   But I'll never stop

An old maid walks around the floor
She's so fed up, one day I'm sure
She'll drag me in and lock the door

George usually played a banjo ukulele, but here he is playing it on a conventional uke.

Here's a page with the chords:

http://www.ukulelesongs.com/uke/ukulele_chords/music/tabs/George_Formby/When_Im_Cleaning_Windows.php

I don't know if they're right, but it's a start.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 21, 2013, 07:24:15 PMI suggest that Greeny covers the closing theme from the TV show "Family Tree".

Ron Sexsmith is awesome, and this is an awesome (and short!) song! I've been away for a week, then I'm away for anothre 2 weeks shortly, so I'll see if I can squeeze some time in. Great suggestion though :-)

Hook

Love it 64, I'm trying to do them in order so I think I have 2 in front of this one but I'm excited about that one too!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 28, 2013, 09:33:58 PMA Norwegian Viking would make me very happy if he and his Norwegian Viking brother would cover this one by Golden Earring (if they have time, that is):

Bloody Buccaneers
Yes. I remember the first time you suggested it, and I'm sorry I haven't found time and inspiration to do it yet, but with a little help from my bro it might just be possible to get it done this time (and I will push it up in the queue ;))
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Burtog

Would it be possible to have some kind of extension on this suggestfest, still got 2-3 tracks which have been requested by others but due to holidays and wot not most of August is going to be a right off for recording time.

Maybe others are in the same boat????
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: Burtog on July 29, 2013, 09:57:11 AMWould it be possible to have some kind of extension on this suggestfest, still got 2-3 tracks which have been requested by others but due to holidays and wot not most of August is going to be a right off for recording time.

Maybe others are in the same boat????

As with any festival, you can send me a PM before the festival ends (August 31) to let me know which song you're currently working on for the festival and don't expect to complete on time. You can then take as much time as you need to complete it (within reason) and I will add it to the jukebox whenever you post it.

The idea is simple. I don't want to continue adding new songs to past festivals after they've ended. But I recognize that people may start working on a song during the festival and the festival might end before they get a chance to finish it. So, to allow people to finish songs they started during the festival, I'll add the finished song to the previous festival as long as I was advised of it during the festival. Once the festival ends, if you decide to start working on another song, it won't be accepted for the festival because it wasn't started during the festival. Of course, you can always post any song you like. It's only a question of whether it will be added to the festival jukebox or not. If I know that you started working on it during the festival because you sent me a PM during the festival, I'll add it. But if you didn't send me a PM, then I have no way of knowing when you started the song. I'm sure most people would be honest about it but there will always be a few who will lie just to get another song in the festival. That's why I need the proof of a PM sent to me during the festival.

And please don't send me a list of 6 songs that you're "working on". ::)  I'll accept one song without question. Any more than that and you'll have to convince me that you really have started working on them. Most people only work on one song at a time. So if you've started more than one song, you'll have to provide reasons why you didn't just finish one before starting the next. And, just to keep people honest, I might ask you to send me mp3s of the unfinished songs if you claim to be working on several.

Many of us have received several great suggestions for SuggestFest and we'd like to do them all, but we know we won't have time. We'll just have to skip some songs, or post them later as regular posts and not submit them for SuggestFest. For example, I've received 5 suggestions, so far. They're all great songs and I'd like to do all 5 of them. But I doubt if I'll complete more than one before the festival ends. I started one at the beginning of the festival and recorded a couple of tracks, but I haven't found the time and motivation to get back to it. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it before the festival ends, but I might need an extension (I'll send myself a PM ;)). I'll still probably do the remaining 4 songs eventually, but they'll just be regular song posts, not festival submissions (unless they happen to fit the current festival at the time). Of course, I'll still acknowledge the people who made the suggestions in my post. In that sense, my songs will be part of SuggestFest in a small way. But they won't be added to the SuggestFest jukebox and they won't get the SuggestFest banner or message icon. To me, getting the songs done and posted is the important thing. Having them in the SuggestFest jukebox would be nice but it's not a big deal. People will hear the songs whether they're in the jukebox or not.

Update: We've decided to include SuggestFest as a choice in the poll for the Sep/Oct 2013 Artsist/Covers festival. See my next message in this topic.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

Oh you're so strict Mr 64 - I've started on all my suggestions, of course they might all sound the same ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

Within minutes of posting my last message, I started to have second thoughts. So I put it to the admin team and oldrottenhead came up with a good idea. What we'll do is include SuggestFest as one of the choices in the next vote. If enough people want to continue with SuggestFest for another two months instead of starting a new Artists/Covers festival, then that's what we'll do. That way, you'll be able to focus on completing the suggested songs rather than getting distracted by a new Artists/Covers festival. Of course, we'll still have a new Theme/Genre festival, so you could get a bit distracted by that. You'll just have to decide what you want to focus on.

If SuggestFest doesn't win the vote, then late submissions will be treated like any other festival, as described above. That is, I'll only add your late submission to the festival if you advised me by PM before August 31st that it will be late.

We've still got a month to go before SuggestFest ends and we vote for the next two festivals. So try to get as many songs completed as you can. And start thinking about whether you want to continue SuggestFest until the end of October or start a new Artists/Covers festival instead. Voting for the Sep/Oct festivals will probably start around August 26th.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Burtog

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 29, 2013, 02:23:47 PMWithin minutes of posting my last message, I started to have second thoughts. So I put it to the admin team and oldrottenhead came up with a good idea. What we'll do is include SuggestFest as one of the choices in the next vote. If enough people want to continue with SuggestFest for another two months instead of starting a new Artists/Covers festival, then that's what we'll do. That way, you'll be able to focus on completing the suggested songs rather than getting distracted by a new Artists/Covers festival. Of course, we'll still have a new Theme/Genre festival, so you could get a bit distracted by that. You'll just have to decide what you want to focus on.

If SuggestFest doesn't win the vote, then late submissions will be treated like any other festival, as described above. That is, I'll only add your late submission to the festival if you advised me by PM before August 31st that it will be late.

We've still got a month to go before SuggestFest ends and we vote for the next two festivals. So try to get as many songs completed as you can. And start thinking about whether you want to continue SuggestFest until the end of October or start a new Artists/Covers festival instead. Voting for the Sep/Oct festivals will probably start around August 26th.
Great idea, thanks!! ;)
recorder
Boss BR-800