"I've Done the Math" - original by Ted - Live in the Grand Canyon

Started by Ted, May 26, 2014, 11:53:45 PM

taffsdad

really like this, the whole process the images the explanation and the song all compliment each other......I like the ending also....
Be Kind Rewind

ODH

That's a great story, great pictures and a great song at the end of it.  You have a lovely voice for this music.

Twenty years ago I was in Phoenix with Land Rover North America.  On one of the weekends they took us up to Flagstaff and then back down on tracks through Sedona in a Range Rover.  It's a beautiful part of the world and that trip is one of the highlights of my life so far.  Like to see the Grand Canyon some day.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

thetworegs

A beauty of a song and an excellent place to record it ...you did a great job!! With an excellent idea...I think it would make a great fest....the great outdoors you have to write and record a song out in the open and take pics to prove it ..

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

steelguitar

;D
Quote from: thetworegs on May 28, 2014, 12:57:30 AMA beauty of a song and an excellent place to record it ...you did a great job!! With an excellent idea...I think it would make a great fest....the great outdoors you have to write and record a song out in the open and take pics to prove it ..

:D You are agree with me about a "Great Outdoors Fest" as you call it or a  "Live In A Great Natural Place" as I named it!!!
The thread is here : https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15502.msg260833#new

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Hook

Excellent song brother, everything about is super cool but without a doubt the ending is the coolest of cool. Like Greeny said that's a great line!!!! Having been to that spot a few years ago, I'm super jealous that you got a recording!! Had the family there a few years ago & we went to the church service & I managed to mooch a guitar for about 20 mins & got o play in that setting & I'll never forget it.
I also have a backpacker, I did a thru-hike of the Appalachian trail 18 years ago  :'( and took one along, great guitar. After getting seriously abused over the 6 month trek I hung it on the wall for years
, strung it up last year & it played great. I've never been a fan of Martin guitars but they make quality.
Great song, great performance & great recording!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

henwrench

Man, I'm lost for words here. The package as a whole, with the pics and all, is masterly. Love it...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Does 'intrigued' count as a superlative? You got me here Ted. Do you live near the canyon? Or is it miles and miles away?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

This is a beauty (the song and the surroundings), liking them languid chord progressions and the simple bass additions fill out the sound nicely.

That vocal just flys, and the wind noise adds to the great ambience of it.

I lived in California for a couple of years when I was 11-13 and it took me ages to figure out that you Yanks referred to Maths as "Math"...I figured that you were just mispronouncing it each time. :D ;)

recorder
Boss Micro BR

kenny mac

This is not only a great song but a great story of the journey you took to get it.
This is so interesting and I do hear neil young in there.
The place looks amazing and it's great that you shared your experience with us.
Well done Ted.

Ted

Quote from: henwrench on May 28, 2014, 03:00:33 PMDo you live near the canyon? Or is it miles and miles away?

The park entrance is about 80 miles away. Does that count as near? I might not be living here much longer but the Grand Canyon has meant "home" to me for many years, even when I lived in Africa and Washington DC.

Quote from: Tangled Wires on May 28, 2014, 03:56:12 PMI lived in California for a couple of years when I was 11-13 and it took me ages to figure out that you Yanks referred to Maths as "Math"...I figured that you were just mispronouncing it each time. :D ;)

When i lived in Africa, Anglophone Cameroonians said "maths," and I always thought it was a mispronunciation by people who spoke English as a second language.

Quote from: kenny mac on May 28, 2014, 07:18:33 PMThis is not only a great song but a great story of the journey you took to get it.
This is so interesting and I do hear neil young in there.

I may do it again someday soon. Next time I'll bring headphones and try to do a multitrack recording of a song written the same day. I might need an overnight trip to make that happen. I understand the trick is to get to the park really early and pick up on a no-show reservation at the campground.

The Neil Young comparison comes up occasionally. I can't say that I count him as an influence. But if you mean it in a good way, I'll take it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac