MIDI Question

Started by Blooby, December 06, 2010, 01:07:37 PM

cuthbert

Thanks for the link, 64G!

Not sure if I need something like that myself, but I'll keep it in mind as I delve into this brave new world of MIDI.  ;)

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 06, 2010, 01:40:32 PMThe best way to switch programs on a midi device is with a midi foot controller, although the cost may be more than you were planning to spend ($142.99 at Musician's Friend).

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-FCB1010-MIDI-Footcontroller-?sku=182469

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

Controllers like these are fully programmable. So you can tell it which program to assign to each of the footswitches and which parameters the pedals should alter.

There may be cheaper ways to achieve program switching. For example, if your keyboard has a footswitch jack, you might be able to program the keyboard to send the appropriate midi program change command to the sound module. But, obviously, a single footswitch is not going to be as versatile as a proper midi foot controller with multiple switches and pedals.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

Blooby, not sure if you're open to a new keyboard which should allow this type of functionality, but if you are, take a look here.

You might be able to pick it up cheaper elsewhere. And of course, you'd probably want to research this one and others a bit deeper as well.

-cuth
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Blooby

Mn, you guys are just brutal when it comes to encouraging G.A.S.

I'm good for now. I have a Yamaha keyboard that has a killer piano sound, and I now have a sound module that has some great Hammonds on it.  I'll use a simple AB box to switch between the two.  I just thought I could have more sound s on hand for jams (like a fast Leslie sound, Rhodes, etc.).  That being said, my keyboardist insists on lugging gear, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Thanks again for all the input.  That's something I really love about this site.

Blooby

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on December 06, 2010, 01:07:37 PMI have successfully MIDI'd a keyboardless sound module (from its MIDI in) to a keyboard (from its MIDI out). I'm curious if there is some way to switch programs on the sound module by footswicth.

Quote from: Blooby on December 06, 2010, 02:25:36 PMI have a Yamaha keyboard that has a killer piano sound, and I now have a sound module that has some great Hammonds on it.  I'll use a simple AB box to switch between the two.  I just thought I could have more sound s on hand for jams (like a fast Leslie sound, Rhodes, etc.).

I think we're talking about two different things here. In the first case, you asked about switching programs on the external sound module. In the second case, it seems you want to use the keyboard to play sounds from either the external sound module or the keyboard's internal sound generator. That you can do easily without a footswitch. Lookup "Local Control" in your Yamaha keyboard's owner's manual. When Local Control is on, the keyboard controls the internal sound generator. When Local Control is off, the keyboard controls the external sound module instead. So, by toggling the Local Control setting, you can play sound from either the internal sound generator or the external sound module. If you connect the audio outs from both the keyboard and the sound module into a mixer (or possibly even a Y-adapter cable), you can use the same amplifier for both sound generators and switch between them with the Local Control setting on the keyboard. No footswitches required.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website