1994 PRS CE22 Sports New Tom Holmes Pups

Started by Torren61, April 01, 2010, 03:56:49 PM

Torren61

I took my place in the six month waiting list for a set of Tom Holmes pickups. 

Tom Holmes has an impeccable reputation for making PAF humbucker replicas instead of clones.  His pickups are hand made by him.  He makes 600 pups a year.  Mine arrived early in only four months. 

The price for the pups without covers was $452 ($440 plus $12 shipping).

I installed them in my 1994 PRS CE22, discontinued Purple color.  I also have installed Bourn pots and a vintage .022 uf Sprague Bumblebee PIO capacitor.

The pickup rings and knobs are custom made ebony.

Gary F

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Dmann

Torren61

I'm still not quite happy with the sound so I'm gonna re-wire this guitar once again.  This configuration is going to be 2 Bourns push/pull volumes for series/parallel/coil tap, no tone, 3 way Switchcraft switch.

I just don't use the bloody tone cap.  I run the pot wide open all of the time.

I build powerlines and we had a tornado come through so I've worked 21 hours straight starting 3:30pm Good Friday.  I'll post some clips this weekend after I get some sleep to give you an idea of how this ax sounds as is.

Thanks for the interest.

AndyR

Looks sweet :)

I use Bare Knuckles pickups in most of my guitars - it's amazing how much difference you get when you start sticking boutique pickups in isn't it?

Interesting about the PIO capacitors. I've recently started experimenting with PIOs (Vitamin Q is as far as I've gone so far) - I've found out that for me, it depends on the guitar. PIOs let less top end through than Orange Drops or ceramics, and therefore sound more "vintage".

I'm really liking PIOs on humbucker guitars and one of my strats, but I think I might be going back to el-cheapo ceramic caps on my teles and the other strats :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Torren61

Here is a sound clip.  I'm not a good guitarist so sorry for the technique.  The sound chain was guitar into Alesis i/o26 audio interface, then firewire into iMac then GarageBand with Guitar Rig 3 as the plugin.  I used the Tweedman amp simulator.

[soundclick]8975440[/soundclick]

I start with the bridge pup and cycle through the five positions and ending with the neck pup.