Starman - BT

Started by thouston, January 06, 2010, 04:08:13 PM

thouston

starman
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I'm big David Bowie fan, and while watching 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' on Blu-ray http://tinyurl.com/ydzb6x9, I heard this Pink Floyd style melody in the background during a scene.

I have a ZOOM H2 digital recorder http://tinyurl.com/2q73yd that keep handy for quick music ideas, so I grabbed it and recorded the short music segment.

Bowie had recorded music for the film, but due to a creative and contractual dispute, no official soundtrack was ever released for the film. The music I heard was composed by Japanese percussionist-composer Stomu Yamashta and others.

So, I took what I heard and created a 'new' composition.

It was recorded on my BR-600, using my 'beater' Strat, Squier P-Bass and BR-600's drums.

I named it 'Starman':

Tony Houston

cuthbert

Hey Tony - a fellow Bowie fan here. Interesting story about the music for the film and a very cool backer you have created here. While listening, a lyrical line (with Bowie vocal stylings) immediately sprung to mind - I'll see if I can develop it some.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

OsCKilO

you gonna sing cuth? 

This should be awesome!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

thouston

Tony Houston

SE

Go Cuth on boy love to hear your vox.
recorder
Boss BR-80

cuthbert

So I have added some lyrics & vocals to Tony's excellent and solid composition...

When writing the lyrics, I borrowed some ideas from 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' and a bit from David Bowie's earlier personas, and then tried to sing something as a re-imagining of the way I thought Bowie might have sang it.

I wanted to add some more bits to it at some point, and left a verse section empty in case Tony has any instrumental solo ideas for it.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Tony, I want you to know I really, really enjoyed working with your composition, and had a blast doing this!

Hope you enjoy it,
cuth
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

thouston

Wow, that was very creative! Could you just upload your vocal track or email the track to me??
Tony Houston

OsCKilO

Fuck me!!!!!!!!

Cuth.....

You Are Freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!

I found a picture that describes how Blown away I am!!!

Actually....That don't say the half of it!!!!

I Keep Noticing More things that I love about the preformance with each listen!!!!

This one explains it better!

Peace Bro

Amazing......

And the same applies to you TonyH

T(Osckilo)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

cuthbert

Glad you guys enjoyed it - T, you are way too kind!  ;D

I am really digging working on this one, though. Loved the original idea from Tony, and have always had a soft spot for this kind of exercise ('...imagine if Bowie, or any other artist for that matter, had done X...').

Tony, I'll send you a stereo mixdown of the vocals in just a bit. Can't wait to see how this song ends up!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

recorder