What external drum machines do you use and at what cost?

Started by Glenn Mitchell, August 17, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

Glenn Mitchell

I am intimidated by the programming requirements of the the MBR's drum trax.
I think I need something more user friendly, like some computer software or perhaps a stand-alone product such as an Alesis.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

SteveG

I use a DAW called Muzies, no longer available I think but I like the interface .... Reaper is similar and free. For the drum sounds I use Ez Drummer. To be honest this is much more complex than the built in drums ....

This is where I learned how to do it, It is in Cubase, but the principle is similar.....

You could try this...

http://www.acoustica.com/beatcraft/

There are several similar programs available. I used to use one of them, I think it was Beatcraft, and the save function was disabled in the demo, so I used Audacity to record the output on playback. Means you need to do it all in one session, but works.

64Guitars

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on August 17, 2009, 08:25:44 AMI am intimidated by the programming requirements of the the MBR's drum trax.
I think I need something more user friendly, like some computer software or perhaps a stand-alone product such as an Alesis.

Actually, programming drum arrangements on the Micro BR is probably easier than using a computer program or stand-alone drum machine, though not as versatile. But a computer program has the advantage of a large display so you can see the whole arrangement instead of just one step at a time. That helps a lot in understanding how all the pieces fit together.

Have you tried the free BR Rhythm Editor?

(Click image to enlarge)

Its files are not compatible with the Micro BR, but you can record the Rhythm Editor's arrangements as stereo WAV files and import them into a pair of tracks on the Micro BR. A big advantage of using the BR Rhythm Editor is that it works the same as the Micro BR's drum arrangements and uses the same preset patterns. So, once you learn how to use the BR Rhythm Editor, you should find it much easier to understand how to program drums directly on the Micro BR.

Another good free drum editor is Hydrogen:

(Click image to enlarge)

Like the BR Rhythm editor, Hydrogen does not create files that are compatible with the Micro BR, but you can easily export the drum arrangement as a stereo WAV file and import it to a pair of tracks on the Micro BR.

LMMS is another good program that's free.

(Click image to enlarge)

It's similar to the commercial program FL Studio (Fruityloops).

All of these programs will require a lot of effort/study to learn how to use them. The same goes for stand-alone drum machines. So, if you think the Micro BR's drums are too hard to learn and you're looking for an easier alternative, I think you'll be disappointed. Of the three, I think the BR Rhythm Editor is the easiest to learn.

One final option is Tommy's Drum Pattern Arranger for the Micro BR.

(Click image to enlarge)

It's the only program I'm aware of that is directly compatible with the Micro BR. Cost is £20 but you can try it free for 30 days.

Since they're all free (or free to try), I'd recommend trying all of these programs. But I'd also recommend putting more effort into learning to program the drums on the Micro BR. Because it's more limited than the software, it's easier to program (fewer options to consider). This video might help you:

Try creating some arrangements on the Micro BR. If you have any difficulties with it, post your questions here.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

When the time comes that I need drums... I'm posting in the colab section. I have 37 years of learning to catch up on before I start anything else.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Very illuminating posts (including the original question) - thanks all.

Wish I had seen that ProAudioDVDs video before my first head-scratcher trying to create an arrangement!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Glenn Mitchell

Thanks for the in depth replies.
I'm going to take a week and explore the drums per this.
I'm not too concerned about converting to wav files and importing so these are all candidates.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

SillyWeb

I use a yamaha dtxplorer to play in the drums myself but if you cant drum i know the program samplitude has a great drum machine in it. Otherwise you can use ordrumbox wih is a very easy program. So i short there are allot of ways to get to rome but the most important thing is it fits your needs and you find it easy to handle to get the best result!

(yamaha dtxplorer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZoMY-8vtCY

Samplitude http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/samplitude.htm

http://www.ordrumbox.com/

Greets!
Check www.pauleekhof.com for more of my stuff!

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 17, 2009, 12:24:41 PM
Quote from: M_Glenn_M on August 17, 2009, 08:25:44 AMI am intimidated by the programming requirements of the the MBR's drum trax.

Actually, programming drum arrangements on the Micro BR is probably easier than using a computer program or stand-alone drum machine, though not as versatile.

I encourage you to stick with the Micro BR's drum arranger--if only for the fact that it doesn't use any of your tracks (unless you get tricky with it).  Once you understand it's capabilities and limitations, you'll be in a better position to decide whether you need an external drum machine, DAW or whatever--either as an alternative or to enhance what the Micro BR has built in.

In a song I'm about to record, I'll be using my Yamaha DD-55, to supplement the Micro BR's drum arranger (such as to add a crash cymbal where the Micro won't let me, or to add hand percussion) but performed on top of the arrangements I've done on the Micro BR.  And I'll just play the supplemental drums live (i.e. not programmed).  I haven't tried it yet, so  we'll see how it works out.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

i have an alesis sr16 that i got for £79 from the thomm site, will try find the link. i hardly use the bloody thing but when i have the patience i get great results, i think hooper uses one too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

hewhoiscalledj

If youre still on the lookout for a drum machine, I've been using a Boss DR3. Rather simplistic yet capeable of producing some great drum tracks. The preset rythyms are extremely useable and give 3 seperate variations and fills to use for on-the-go songwriting. It also does bass lines.

Like with any piece of gear, it has a learning curve but I dont think it's as intimidating as other gear.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/DR-3/