Africa - Toto

Started by ODH, May 10, 2023, 12:04:35 PM

ODH

Africa
Time:
0:00
Volume:
It came up on the Apple Music Best of 1983 playlist and I thought it would be fun. Then I discovered it was actually released in 1982 and I would be letting myself in for a tongue lashing if I tried to pass it off. But I went ahead anyway.

In the version I wanted to do, Africa is an 80's nightclub and our hapless hero gets off with our female lead - Lorraine - at said club. I was particularly proud of the line "I felt Lorraine up in Africa". The problem is that the lyrics in the song are so achingly pretentious that I couldn't rework them to my satisfaction. So I went with the original words, grudgingly.

GB drums and bass, and keyboards. Guitars are the new Supersonic which I'm still loving.

It does occur to me that some of you might actually be fond of the original; please accept my apologies.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Mike_S

Brilliant Nick. I was waiting anxiously for this to begin. How on earth were you going to do this? Then it made perfect sense. Yeah man, you gave a wonderful spin on the original, fantastic arrangement - thoroughly enjoyed that.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Yup, what Mike said.

I've never been a fan of the original (apologies to any who are), but I love the arrangement and the delivery on your cover, Nick. Also, it kicks Weezer's version to the curb - just my opinion, of course.

Loved it!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

That's the spirit........hillbilly punk ........I can hear banjos .........see men in overalls.....no shirts.......dancing, dancing...........dancing........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: cuthbert on May 10, 2023, 03:46:33 PMAlso, it kicks Weezer's version to the curb - just my opinion, of course.

Yes, fully agree!! I love this version, Weezer has nothing on you by far. Great vocals and playing as well. Punky shit that rocks to the stratosphere!

You made a tune of a tune instead of impersonating it, very pleased to hear this.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

karl1171

Well I am quite fond of the original, but think this is pretty cool as well!

ODH

Quote from: cuthbert on May 10, 2023, 03:46:33 PMAlso, it kicks Weezer's version to the curb - just my opinion, of course.

Thanks, high praise. I wasn't aware there is a Weezer version. I went and had a listen and was a bit disappointed, to be honest.  A lot like the original but with slightly beefier guitars.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

TPB

Smoking guitar work love the cover
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Blooby

Inspired. I love the "da da da da da dun!" You must have smiled to yourself when you listened back the first time.

I like Toto just fine, but the original version doesn't exactly scream "hit" or even a single to me.

Blooby

cuthbert

Quote from: ODH on May 11, 2023, 04:58:42 AMI went and had a listen and was a bit disappointed, to be honest.  A lot like the original but with slightly beefier guitars.

Yep, I was also underwhelmed by Weezer's version - too close to the original for my taste.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase