Vote for the July/August 2021 "Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, June 19, 2021, 07:30:11 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from July 1 to August 31. Voting starts now and runs for 10 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on Tuesday, June 29th (Wed the 30th in some time zones). To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Originals" festival. Please vote in both polls.

Remember, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

• 21st Century Songs - Covers of songs released from 2000-2021.
  • Country & Western Covers - Covers of songs in the classic American genre.
  • Stiff Records - Covers of songs released by Stiff Records.
  • The Everly Brothers - Covers of songs by The Everly Brothers.
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Voting closed. The winner is:

CWFest (banner image missing)

Covers of songs in the classic American Country & Western genre.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bishmanrock

I know nothing about country and western, but luckily I know someone who does so I'll turn to him for some guidance to see if there's anything I could potentially pull off, hoping I can!

To be clear, the songs being covered have to be country and western, but the cover itself can take on different genres and influences?

recorder
Cubase

Hook

So we did this with the original fest a year or 2 ago. Being originals the goal was to write and produce in that style. Not being into country music myself I thought it would be super difficult but was surprised with how much I ended up producing. I certainly stretched the idea of country music but it was a great exercise.
This being a cover fest, I would assume as long as it's a "country song" your version could be in a different genre. All songs are just chords and melodies and when played by you its your style.
I find it fun to dive into genres like this that I'm quite unfamiliar with. Hope I can find time over the next 2 months.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Bishmanrock on July 01, 2021, 07:01:42 AMTo be clear, the songs being covered have to be country and western, but the cover itself can take on different genres and influences?

Correct. But the song must still be recognisable. For example, you can't just take the country & western lyrics and sing them over an original composition to a different melody. The basic chord progressions, melody, and lyrics should be retained, but you can change the style/genre of the music to anything you like. Instrumentals are allowed too. So you could play the vocal melody of a country & western song on a guitar or synth, for example, instead of singing it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bishmanrock

That's all good. Yeah, I think too much original composition crosses the line from cover into original with sample/remix/mash-up territory instead. I wasn't planning on anything that drastic.

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 01, 2021, 09:51:58 AMInstrumentals are allowed too. So you could play the vocal melody of a country & western song on a guitar or synth, for example, instead of singing it.

Hadn't considered this, will keep it in mind, ta!

recorder
Cubase