Micro BR Revisted - Equalizer Frequencies?

Started by LDBluz, September 24, 2020, 01:03:17 PM

LDBluz

I've had a Micro BR (not BR-80) for over 14 years and keep coming back to it for all kinds of things. It is truly a convenient tool for recording or just noodling around. Recently I've been using it as an adjunct to projects using the DAW Reaper. In fact, one can export a Micro BR track using the BR WAV Converter and import the WAV file into Reaper, and do wonderful things.

My question here is that I'm impressed with the Micro BR recording of acoustic guitar using the Micro BR mic and the Ag Lo Cut Effect. But.. what are the frequencies for the Lo Gain and Hi Gain  settings?

To those also still with the Micro BR, I discovered a way to power the Micro BR from a USB charge bank (one used for charging a cell phone). This works really well!

Amazon.com: USB DC 5V to DC 9 Volt USB Power Supply Cable, Max Current 800mAh, Tip Negative Connector, Compatible for Guitar Effects Pedals Power Supply Adapter: Home Audio & Theater
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GD54Q66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, any help on the EQ would be great.

Flash Harry

HI,

I gave mine away, it's currently on the other side of the planet. I think, if my memory serves me correctly, you can edit the filter curt off frequencies, I can't remember the button sequence, but just getting there will show you what the various filters are set at.

As I say - this is from memory, which I know from bitter experience, is faulty.

Others still have the little silver brick, Greeny for one - he may have a better answer than mine.   
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Quote from: LDBluz on September 24, 2020, 01:03:17 PMMy question here is that I'm impressed with the Micro BR recording of acoustic guitar using the Micro BR mic and the Ag Lo Cut Effect. But.. what are the frequencies for the Lo Gain and Hi Gain  settings?

The manual doesn't specify what frequencies are affected by the low and high filters of the 4-band equalizer. But I did a little experiment with my BR-864, recording a track of white noise and then applying only the low and high filters to the track (+20dB boost on each).

First, here's a spectrum analysis of the unfiltered white noise track in Audacity:

And here's how it looks after applying the low and high filters of the BR-864's 4-band equalizer:

You can see that they are shelving filters (ie; they boost or cut everything above or below the cutoff frequency). I'd estimate the cutoff frequency to be about 1500Hz. The high filter has quite a wide slope.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

StephenM

While I don't have a micro I found this very interesting.  I enjoy the science of noise and sound and have learned quite a bit about eq that I hadn't paid enough attention to previously in my recordings.  I have the 1600 and it does give the ability to sweep the shelf and it is a low, mid, high... also you can use a different style eq....as well...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

64Guitars

Quote from: Stephen Moore on September 26, 2020, 06:11:28 AMI have the 1600 and it does give the ability to sweep the shelf and it is a low, mid, high... also you can use a different style eq....as well...

You must be referring to the BR-1600's "3 Band Equalizer" effect from the "8CH COMP EQ" algorithm. The Micro BR does not have that effect.

This topic refers to the "4 Band Equalizer" effect of the Micro BR's "VOCAL MULTI" algorithm which is exactly the same on the BR-1600, although it's available in several of the BR-1600's algorithms. The only parameter available on the low and high bands is a gain control (-20dB - +20dB). The filter type and cutoff frequency are fixed.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website