What does your home studio look like?

Started by SdC, May 13, 2009, 04:15:20 AM

AndyR

Cool looking place, Farrell - bigger than mine too! (I might actually get the wife's camera out now that I've got a broom-cupboard of my own...)

I can't see no Hammond B5 and Leslie cab, though...

And where's the pinball machine and pool table? I assume they're in the next room... Gotta have those... something to keep the bass-player and drummer amused while the musical stuff is going on! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

thetworegs

Here's one of the cellar....... which i must say is getting a bit cramped since the delivery...................

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

AndyR

Hey! I do have pics already...

I present various aspects of the broom-cupboard... :)

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

bruno

Farrell, you are a worse gear junkie than me :-)

I have a new excuse ...... "well, at least I haven't got as much gear as Farrell .."  ;D ;D ;D ;D

recorder
Boss BR-1600

peterp

Wow Farrell! Nice cozy room :)
How big is it? I managed to grab a 12*12 basement room our son vacated before the wife filled it up with "stuff".

It needs major reno though, so far I pulled up the  floor which was rug covered plywood on top of  2*4's (it smelled really funny) and found whoever build it power nailed the 2*4's  to the concrete.
So I need to start by repairing the holes left in the concrete slab, and a large chunk of the wallboard is damaged so a lot of that needs to be replaced too. Before I can start putting in a new subfloor/floor .

And the ET wallpaper really has to go  ;D

Then I can start building it into a proper music cave!

She already grabbed the room our daughter vacated and filled it with art materials. Oddly that room needed no repairs. Strange.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

bruno

Andy - does the duster make a difference to the sound??

recorder
Boss BR-1600

AndyR

:D It was a (possibly vain) attempt to reduce reflections coming in at the back of the mic. I'm not sure it did anything though - made me feel more comfortable, I guess.

That room's got some nasty reflections in there. I've since learnt to move around the room to pick the right spot for the particular vocal I'm doing - you can find dead spots - and then try not to move my mouth around too much apart from what's needed for mic technique.

Although, incidentally, for the recent one, "Get The Lifeboat In The Water", I needed a real close-mic vocal so I put away the rode and used one of the SM57s with a foam shield - hardly any room reflection problems at all then :D. And I was able to belt out the loud bits with top lip resting on the shield without distorting the mic unpleasantly. I ought to get a new SM58 - that used to be my favourite rock vocal mic... but mine's lost all it's top-end from hundreds of sweaty gigs.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 19, 2012, 10:29:42 AMThat's a lot of gear, Farrell. I think you need a bigger room. :)  Looks impressive though. Especially the desk with the two recorders and all that outboard gear. Do you use both recorders? Are they synced via midi?

Thanks 64! I called Fostex once to see if it was possible to link the two recorders via midi or any other way and they said it wasn't possible so I didn't try it. I think it's possible to get the FD8's L/R stereo tracks linked via the adat light pipe connection but so far I've not needed to do that with the 16 tracks I have on the VF160. I should give the midi another look because I have some older tracks on the FD8 that I wouldn't mind adding to and mixing on the VF160. If I had a bigger room it would be just as full, lol! Now I'm like a fish in a bowl....I can only grow as large as the bowl.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: SteveB on October 19, 2012, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: Farrell Jackson on October 19, 2012, 09:13:32 AMHere's some pictures of my place.

Farrell

OMG!! Farrell, I'm not Gay, but I want to come and live with you and play with your things!!  :D

Here's what I'm reduced to (and I have to live in this as well!). To the right I can hang two 20-tog duvets over the door frame and make a cotton-wool corner for singing and playing - Yam a/c Guitar + BR900 etc. Oh well.
Great photos Farrell.

You're welcome over any time Steve. There's enough gear to go around, lol. My 4 year old grandson loves to bang on the studio drums as well. It's fun to have all the goodies to mess with but sometimes simple is the best...especially if you can get it all in one box like your set up.....I'm envious of that!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: peterp on October 19, 2012, 12:51:01 PMWow Farrell! Nice cozy room :)
How big is it? I managed to grab a 12*12 basement room our son vacated before the wife filled it up with "stuff".

It needs major reno though, so far I pulled up the  floor which was rug covered plywood on top of  2*4's (it smelled really funny) and found whoever build it power nailed the 2*4's  to the concrete.
So I need to start by repairing the holes left in the concrete slab, and a large chunk of the wallboard is damaged so a lot of that needs to be replaced too. Before I can start putting in a new subfloor/floor .

And the ET wallpaper really has to go  ;D

Then I can start building it into a proper music cave!

She already grabbed the room our daughter vacated and filled it with art materials. Oddly that room needed no repairs. Strange.

Thanks Peter. My room is 14 x 14 plus I have a 4 x 6, 1/2 bath that doubles as the the amp isolation room. There's also another small closet where I stack my keyboards and an entrance hall way that doubles as a vocal area. Like you, my room is a hand me down. This room was my wife's home based commercial bakery business that we shut down a few years ago. We built it specifically for that purpose. I had to remove the floor sinks, washing sinks, ventilation hoods,  all the equipment etc. to fit my studio needs. The cool thing is that there are well grounded outlets every where so it works well as a personal studio. The room is attached to my house but has a separate entrance, a code requirement for the bakery. I have to leave the house to enter the studio which is kind of nice. Before that I was just in one of the spare bedrooms...this is way better.

It sounds like you are well on your way to getting your place in shape. Keep at it, you'll love the freedom.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert