Vote for the Nov/Dec 2016 "Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, October 25, 2016, 07:22:07 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from November 1 to December 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on October 30 (or 31st, depending on your time zone). To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Originals" festival. Please vote in both polls.

Remember, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

• The Who - Covers of songs by The Who. Can include solo works by Daltrey, Townshend, Entwistle and Moon.

• 21st Century Songs - Covers of songs released after the year 2000.

• Nazz/Todd Rundgren/Utopia - Covers of songs by Todd Rundgren, either solo or with his bands Nazz and Utopia.

• The Everly Brothers - Covers of songs by The Everly Brothers.

• Factory Records - Covers of songs released on the Factory Records label

• Mercury Prize Winners - Cover of any song from an album that won the Mercury Prize.

• One Song Fest - Everyone covers "Better Man" by Pearl Jam.

• The Swinging Sixties - Covers of songs that were popular in Swinging London in the 1960s.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

I hope it will be possible for one songcrafter (Hook) to submit multiple versions of the one song if that's the fest that's chosen ... .?.?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on October 27, 2016, 05:52:42 PMWhat song?

Anything recorded or written by The Everly Brothers.

Oh. You mean if that crazy One Song thing wins? How about "The Song That Doesn't End"? Might as well 'cause the jukebox will sound like that no matter which song we choose.  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2zJOryHKQ

I guess we might have to have another poll with a half-dozen or so song choices to determine which one everyone will cover. Maybe we should do that now? Some of the people who voted for One Song might change their minds after they find out what the song is.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on October 27, 2016, 06:08:48 PMI hope it will be possible for one songcrafter (Hook) to submit multiple versions of the one song if that's the fest that's chosen ... .?.?

Sure. Anyone could submit multiple versions as long as they're noticeably different arrangements and/or styles. But I wouldn't want to see people posting remixes, or doing a stripped-down version first then adding a few more instruments to those same tracks and submitting it again. The arrangement and style would be basically the same in those cases and I think it should be noticeably different.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 27, 2016, 06:23:43 PM
Quote from: Geir on October 27, 2016, 06:08:48 PMI hope it will be possible for one songcrafter (Hook) to submit multiple versions of the one song if that's the fest that's chosen ... .?.?

Sure. Anyone could submit multiple versions as long as they're noticeably different arrangements and/or styles. But I wouldn't want to see people posting remixes, or doing a stripped-down version first then adding a few more instruments to those same tracks and submitting it again. The arrangement and style would be basically the same in those cases and I think it should be noticeably different.

thank you for clarifying what I meant  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hook

Ok I get it...lots of versions...different arrangements/styles...no pressure... ... ... ...it's like your living inside my brain.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

I've created a poll to choose the song for One Song Fest, should it win. If it doesn't win, we'll use the winning song for a future festival poll if One Song Fest comes up again.

Here's a link to the poll:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=25895.0

Please vote now.

We'd like to decide on the song before the festival polls close so that people can decide if they want One Song Fest or one of the other fests. I think a lot depends on the song that's chosen.

Update - Voting closed for the song choice poll.

The winner is
"Better Man"
by Pearl Jam

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Voting closed. The winner for the Nov/Dec 2016 Covers festival is

One Song Fest - "Better Man"

- Everyone covers "Better Man" by Pearl Jam.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website