Vote for the May/Jun 2016 "Originals" festival

Started by 64Guitars, April 25, 2016, 01:55:45 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from May 1st to June 30th. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on April 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Originals" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Covers" festival. Please vote in both polls.

Remember, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

• Weekday Fest - Songs about days of the week.

• NewsFest - Write a song inspired by current events in the news. It doesn't necessarily have to be heavy stuff like wars, murders, politics, etc. It could be lighter topics such as sports, entertainment news, etc. Or you can cover a song that was inspired by news stories of the time. For example, "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats was inspired by a story that was in the news at the time. A big story in the news now is the recent death of Prince, so you could write a song about that. But no Prince covers, please, unless it's a song that Prince wrote about a news event (I don't know if he wrote any such songs but he might have).

• TravelFest - Songs about a journey or trip from one place to another.

• Cycle of Life fest - Songs about the seasons and birth, life and death.

• Songs about Buildings and Food Fest -
    Covers of songs by Talking Heads

OR

Original songs about buildings and/or food.

• OldSchoolStudio Fest - Record a new song using only tape recorders and techniques that were available in the days before digital recording. So no digital recorders, no DAWs, no soft synths, no ThumbJam, no GarageBand, etc. Hardware synths (even digital) would be okay as long as they're actually played, as opposed to being programmed with sequencers or other automation. You don't have to bounce, but if you do bounce, it must be done using only analog tape recorders, just like in the old days. Of course, you'll need to use a digital recorder or software to turn your final mix into an MP3 for posting. But that should be the very last step and it's the only time you can use modern technology. Everything that goes into your recording up to that final conversion to MP3 must be old school. As with all of our festivals, please post only new recordings. Don't post your old tape recordings from the 70s or 80s, for example. The idea is to make a new recording using old equipment and techniques. That could mean using your old Fostex 4-track cassette, for example. Or it could be as simple as getting an old portable mono cassette recorder with a mic and recording yourself singing and playing guitar live in the living room.

• CrimeFest - Songs about crime, law, police, incarceration, etc.

• DopeFest - Songs about drugs.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Dammit, looking like I'm gonna have to buy some seriously outdated crap!!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

heg577

• OldSchoolStudio Fest  Or it could be as simple as getting an old portable mono cassette recorder with a mic and recording yourself singing and playing guitar live in the living room.

[/quote]

Those were the days...or two portable cassette recorders so that one could 'multi-track'    ;D
There is a beautiful symphony playing within us all..

Geir

I'm surprised that so many as 5 songcrafters still have a functioning analog recording device ;D !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

ODH

Quote from: Geir on April 27, 2016, 09:53:05 AMI'm surprised that so many as 5 songcrafters still have a functioning analog recording device ;D !!!!

Or will at least have the excuse to buy replacements for the gear they got rid of on eBay only five years ago. 
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Oldrottenhead

I used to have a Sony walkman with stereo mics. I would wrap it with gaffer  tape to hold  the record button down throw it in my mums tumble drier for four minutes. Voila one stereo drum track.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

steelguitar

" Or it could be as simple as getting an old portable mono cassette recorder with a mic and recording yourself singing and playing guitar live in the living room."

I can do it !!! & I have the mono cassette recorder !!!

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Pete C

Well apart from an old Sony Walkman that only plays cassettes I've not got any tape equipment left so that's me out !
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800