Harley Benton Les Paul Copy

Started by Johnny Robbo, December 10, 2015, 12:02:06 PM

bruno

Well guitar 1 has a slightly darker thicker tone than guitar 2 - I prefer the sound of guitar 1 - but they are very close. That could be down to eq though! To be honest, I still think its down to playability and individual choice. Interesting experiment.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

chip

As Bruno said. The first a little darker, the second a little brighter, but still none the wiser.
Ok I will guess. No 1= Epiphone  No2= Harley Benton. That is due mainly to. I reckon the pick ups on the HB are  brighter. I have owned and played Wikinson guitars before with humbuckers and they did seem brighter, but I'm still in the dark, anyway that's my guess.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Pete C

Difficult one ! I think I'd say guitar 1 is the Harley Benton and guitar 2 is the Epiphone?
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

i found it very hard to distinguish any major difference, maybe no2 had the slight edge, but if i played both and one was £120 and the other was £300 i would buy the cheaper of the two.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

On these recordings, guitar 2 seems as if it's putting out more "oink" than guitar 1, I would prefer that myself. Also, the playing sounds more confident and relaxed on 2, which is the effect a "preferred" sound could have on me while playing.

What I'm describing as more oink kind of suggests I think it's better, but it's not really, I just prefer it and would find more use for it myself.

And it could be any number of things causing it:

* Electrics - Different pickups, different pots, different capacitors.
* Electrics adjustment - Different height adjustments of pickups from strings (and screw polepieces in the pickups).
* Different age strings (and different gauges).
* Different actions.
* Different resonance of the unamplified instrument - I find the louder the thing is acoustically (strings and action affect that too), the more oink it delivers through a guitar patch.

It could even be (but I don't think it is) that the guitar 2 example is recorded hotter - I've found you can make a recording of a "weedier" guitar sound bigger than a guitar with more oink, just by turning it up in the mix(!)... so er... who knows? :D

Interestingly - just been thinking about this - one of my LP types actually "felt" like guitar 1 when I played it in the shop. A few years earlier I would have passed on it, slightly disappointed. But I bought it because it was gorgeous to look at, it was the only one they had, and I knew I could make it sound more like I wanted (like guitar 2) with just a screwdriver and my preferred strings.

Out of these two recordings here, though, I definitely prefer 2, but no real idea which is which.

If you twisted my arm, I'd say 2 is the Harley Benton. But that's a guess based more on your description and the story - I suspect you were happier as a guitarist playing 2 (that could be because it's your guitar, or it could be because you had more time and less pressure). It's also based on my experience of Epiphones, but I've only owned 3 or 4 of them (all in the loft because I have other guitars that do it better), so maybe that's a little unfair/biaised against the Epi! The ones I own have done some excellent work - two were main gigging guitars for several years - and I wouldn't part with them. But, in general, I've found them less vibrant and lively sounding guitars than some of their friends (one of mine IS as vibrant etc, but it suffers from lifting frets and is therefore unplayable without some serious attention).

I'd recommend an Epi to anyone starting out. I'd also recommend Harley Benton - everything I've heard about them has been good.

In fact, I'd recommend any guitar to anyone. Just don't spend more than you can afford. Try a load and buy the best one for you for the cheapest you can. If you want the name, buy it. Some people are just after an instrument (a tool) to do the job. Some people are buying into a dream ("rock and roll", or whatever type of music floats their boat). It's all good.

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

bruno

Good advice Andy.

Would add - the one thing I hate is instruments that don't get used. If you buy an expensive instrument, it should be used in anger - don't buy it if you are too afraid to take it out of the case - gig it, record with it, whatever. If it simply sits in the case, then you shouldn't have bought it. All my instruments cheap, and expensive have been gigged and recorded with. I was a nervous wreck bring the Brook's to open mikes, but I'm glad I did. Although if I every do open mikes again, I'll buy a cheaper acoustic to bring - pissed people and expensive instruments are not a great mix!

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Bluesberry

I came for the guitar playing section of the video....and didn't disappoint.  Man that sounds lovely, sweet, buttery, with a lovely snarl.  What a great sounding guitar Johnny.  It doesn't hurt that you can play like a son-of-a-gun.  I love watching people's fretting hand when playing guitar.....you get a hell of a lot of movement out of those three fingers....I am astonished to see that your pinky only comes into play ever so slightly, very fluid and economical positioning.  It looks too damn easy watching this, fantastic stuff.  I really enjoyed this.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Johnny Robbo

Thanks again, chaps. I'm blown away by the response to this post :) :) :)

And, here are the answers...

Guitar 1 is the Harley Benton

Guitar 2 is the Epiphone

The Epi certainly has a hotter output & gives (to my ears) a more trebly sound. This would make it excellent for metal & styles with more "attitude", which suits the needs of the guy who's getting it for Xmas... he's into bands like MCR and Black Veil Brides. I think I still prefer the HB (then of course I would say that wouldn't I?) as it's more of a classic rock/blues guitar. I'm having a fun time with it at the moment doing a sort of Gary Moore meets Pat Travers tune... watch this space.

Bluesberry, mate... thanks for the comments on my playing. As for the 3 fingered approach - I guess that's the Gary Moore fan in me coming out. I tend to use 3 fingers for blues scale/pentatonic type stuff (a la Gary) & then when I can't go any faster I switch to a more "Satriani" legato 4 fingered approach and get the modes out of their wrapper. Between those two methods I manage to bluff my way through most things. But I'm a cack handed eejit when it comes to speed picking & sweeping to be honest  :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks again chaps!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

Hook

I'm gonna say....
1 is my ibanez  gio
2 is my dean acoustic flying v

Did I loan them to you or is that me playing?
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely