Vote for the Sep/Oct 2015 "Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, August 24, 2015, 07:04:12 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from September 1 to October 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on August 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Originals" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=23799.0

Please vote in both polls.

You may have noticed that we've changed the category names. The former "Artists/Covers" is now simply "Covers". The meaning hasn't changed though. Any festival with one or more specific artists as its theme is always a covers-only festival, so it made sense to shorten the name. The former "Theme/Genre" is now "Originals". It's a bit of a misnomer since, although we encourage you to write an original song if you can, covers will be allowed too in most cases. We just wanted to shorten and simplify the name.

So, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Assuming 1st post wins that limit's it to only members that have OK to Cover right (unless the post was a cover in the 1st place, I guess?)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

Suggest fest is a no brainer for me. But there's a lot of good options
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on August 25, 2015, 02:34:55 PMAssuming 1st post wins that limit's it to only members that have OK to Cover right (unless the post was a cover in the 1st place, I guess?)

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that but I guess you're right. Either the member must have "Okay to Cover" in their signature or you should contact them first and get their permission to cover their first post. Although, as you said, if the song was a cover in the first place then no permission is needed.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

fenderbender

I dont know how to put up OK to cover on my songs  ::) ::) ::)
Not that anyone would be interested  but :'( :'( :'( :'(
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

64Guitars

Quote from: fenderbender on August 29, 2015, 06:00:59 PMI dont know how to put up OK to cover on my songs

I've added it for you.

In case anyone else wants an "Okay to Cover" icon in their signature, the instructions are here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15129.msg189122#msg189122

It's very easy.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Voting is closed and the winner is First Post Fest - Re-do the first song you posted at Songcrafters, or cover the first song posted by another member.

The new festivals start Sept 1 at midnight GMT.  See this post.

An easy way to find a member's first song post is to click "My Latest Song Posts" under their avatar at the side of any post.

Or go to the member's profile and click "Show the last Song Posts of this person." which you'll find at the bottom of the Summary page.

Then go to the last page of the song posts list.

Now scroll to the bottom of the page to find the first song post.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Farrell Jackson

I have a question on the first post fest. Can it be a new interpretation of the first song posted but with the same lyric or does it need to be a cover that is very similar to the first?

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on September 06, 2015, 02:27:48 PMI have a question on the first post fest. Can it be a new interpretation of the first song posted but with the same lyric or does it need to be a cover that is very similar to the first?

If you're covering your own first song post, then feel free to create a new interpretation. But if you're planning to re-invent someone else's first song post, you better ask them first, even if they have "Okay to Cover" in their signature, because they might not want their song changed drastically. It's one thing to do a cover of someone's song, but to completely change it might offend some songwriters.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: 64Guitars on September 06, 2015, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: Farrell Jackson on September 06, 2015, 02:27:48 PMI have a question on the first post fest. Can it be a new interpretation of the first song posted but with the same lyric or does it need to be a cover that is very similar to the first?

If you're covering your own first song post, then feel free to create a new interpretation. But if you're planning to re-invent someone else's first song post, you better ask them first, even if they have "Okay to Cover" in their signature, because they might not want their song changed drastically. It's one thing to do a cover of someone's song, but to completely change it might offend some songwriters.

Thanks 64 for clearing that up for me.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?