Vote for the Jul/Aug 2015 "Theme/Genre" festival

Started by 64Guitars, June 24, 2015, 07:18:47 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from July 1 to August 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on June 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Theme/Genre" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Artists/Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=23503.0

Please vote in both polls.

As always, we encourage you to write an original song for the Theme/Genre festival, but covers are welcome too where appropriate.

Heartbreak Fest - Songs about heartbreak.

Examples:

• "Love Hurts" by The Everly Brothers (also by Nazareth, Roy Orbison, etc.)
  • "The End of the World" by Skeeter Davis (also by Herman's Hermits)
  • "Can't Stand Losing You" by The Police
  • "Long, Long Time" by Linda Ronstadt
  • "I Can't Stop Loving You" by Ray Charles
  • "Lost Without Your Love" by Bread

Note: These examples are provided only to give you an idea of the kind of lyrics that are expected. You are encouraged to write an original heartbreak song. However, if songwriting isn't your thing, then feel free to do a cover.

Sung to the Tune of - Write completely new lyrics to a public-domain tune. This isn't a parody fest since the lyrics don't have to be humorous. They can be about any topic you like but must be set to a public-domain tune of your choosing.

Lullaby Fest - Write an original lullaby. Or cover a lullaby if you're not a songwriter.

NewsFest - Write a song inspired by current events in the news. It doesn't necessarily have to be heavy stuff like wars, murders, politics, etc. It could be lighter topics such as the World Cup, entertainment news, etc. Or you can cover a song that was inspired by news stories of the time. For example, "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats was inspired by a story that was in the news at the time.

TearFest - Songs about crying or tears.

Examples:

• "Crying in the Rain" by The Everly Brothers
  • "Cry" by Godley & Creme
  • "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto. The original Japanese title was "Ue o Muite Arukō" which means "I Look Up As I Walk". The lyrics tell the story of a man who looks up while he is walking so that his tears will not fall.
  • "Tears on My Pillow" by Little Anthony and the Imperials
  • "Crying" by Roy Orbison
  • "Dancing with Tears in My Eyes" by Ultravox

Note: These examples are provided only to give you an idea of the kind of lyrics that are expected. You are encouraged to write an original song about tears/crying. However, if songwriting isn't your thing, then feel free to do a cover.

American Post Punk/New Wave - Write a song in the American Post Punk/New Wave genre. Covers are also acceptable.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-punk and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_music.

World Peace Fest - Songs relating to peace in the world.

Songs About Guns - Hopefully, that's self-explanatory. I can't think of anything to add.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha

64Guitars

Voting is closed. The winner is Heartbreak Fest.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook