songs vanished

Started by Oldrottenhead, February 01, 2014, 03:48:30 AM

Oldrottenhead

Yesterday i recorded two complete uke songs and one incomplete uke song. Turned on my micrrobr and card is empty. Am not near  a pc till later today so hope info is still on the sd card. Micro br seems still to be working. Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

before i got home i rerecorded the two complete songs, as best as i could remember them. but still to master them. i recorded both songs on same song folder. when i got home i inserted card into card read drive on my pc. and i had 4 folders the usual mp3 and bro folders with the rerecorded songs but the other two folders where like hyroglyphics.

i couldn't access what was originally the mp3 folder. but did manage to get into the song folder and rescued all my previous recordings. the song folder that contained the new song folder, well the dat file in that song folder with all the recording info was corrupted. so those songs are lost to the ether.

have initialized my card. and will transfer the rerecorded versions the bro folder and hopefully be able to master them.

first time that has ever happened very strange indeed.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

DannyB_KY

Unlike wives, you can never have too many Les Pauls.

cuthbert

Wow...that's scary. I'd recommend that you run a disk utility on the SD card when you get a chance (after you back everything up, course). That saved most of my bacon for my parts on our admin collab for 'Merry Xmas Everybody'...I only had to redo a couple of tracks after repairing the SD card.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

happened to me too on my Br 80. Was recording and the low battery warning came up. though i would have at least a 1 min more just to finish so i wont forget but was in mid-recording and just went dead. Expected to probably loose the song i was recording when the power went. Thats not what happened....I put in new batteries, turn it on and it told me that there were NO SONGS (on MTR mode). Everything can be recorded again ..ok , except for: the drum arrangements with I made for 12 songs. Specially since it would be imposible to remember each verse, fill, intro-rhythm i put in. Told a computer guy friend and he suggested the problem was with the root structure or filling system the BR 80 has in the card. I was able to recover, at least the rhythm arrangements doing the following:

- checked the card in the computer and confirmed that the folders where the song projects are were there (all of them) the computer reads them but when you stick the card in BR 80 it says that there is nothing (no songs)
- formated a new card on the BR 80
- on the new formated card on the BR 80, selected new song option 12 times (same amount of songs i lost but were in the folders read by the PC)
- so now you get the newly formatted SD card with folders with 12 songs (tricking the BR 80 into creating a file system for 12 songs)
- copied only the contents of each song project folder of the old data card to the new formatted card ( i took note which song went into the newly created song project folders: song 001 etc)
- put in the new card in the BR 80 and the guitar tracks were corrupted but the rhythm track was intact for all the songs.

....better than nothing

IanR

I'm glad you could retrieve something.  I have had lots of grief with sd cards over the years. You should back up regularly, but I never do. If it fails, you just have to accept it and move. Or hopefully like you, there is a way to get something useable.

Cheers

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Oldrottenhead

i think the main culprit was me trying to squeeze too much juice out of my batteries. i always replace with freshly charged batteries well before batteries run out now.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Tootler

Quote from: IanR on June 04, 2015, 09:04:38 AMI'm glad you could retrieve something.  I have had lots of grief with sd cards over the years. You should back up regularly, but I never do. If it fails, you just have to accept it and move. Or hopefully like you, there is a way to get something useable.

Cheers

Ian

I've generally been lucky with sd cards, the worst being my video camera telling me the card was full when it wasn't when I was on holiday. I had a spare card and popped that in and dealt with it when I got home.

I'm not that conscientious about backing up either but I do convert my songs to wav and transfer them to the PC more or less as son as I've finished recording - together with mixes if I have done any. That way, I reckon that if there is a problem I can reimport the files to the MTR and reprocess and add further tracks as needed. I also add a text file in the song folder with a list of what each track contains. It took me a while to realise I needed to do that and it was the need to re-use a particular track that prompted it so as to save me going through each track to find the one I needed.

As an aside, I find the Boss wave converter much better than Tascam's internal conversion utility. They both do the job but the Tascam utility is so slow. I can't understand these days why they can't just record direct to wav. After all, storage space is not at a premium like it was when these devices were first produced so the need for an efficient compression algorithm is not really needed any more.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity