USB power

Started by chip, July 31, 2013, 12:34:26 PM

cuthbert

You may be right, 64G. I haven't tried this in a long time, but I'll try again when I get a few minutes.

I must admit I was underwhelmed by the BR80's USB audio interface, so I mainly hook it up to my computer for converting tracks to WAV.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Neo

Quote from: cuthbert on July 31, 2013, 05:35:43 PMYou can't plug it into your laptop via USB, use that for the power source for the BR80, and then record to tracks on the BR80.

I don't want to be the newbie stirring the proverbial, but you can.

Make sure the usb mode is set to audio and connect to usb. You can now record to the BR80 or of course, use it as an interface.
Near Earth Object

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

It's that 1% that gets me every time.  ;D

Looks like you can record to the BR80 in audio interface mode (but not storage mode). Of course any audio on your computer is also being recorded, as it's mixed in from the USB port. Depending on how you look at it, that could be considered a nice feature, but I'd still be reluctant to use it myself unless any latency issues in the drivers were already ironed out (I get some popping from Audacity, for instance).

Just for the sake of audio clarity, I'd stick to rechargeables or alkaline batteries when recording in the BR80, as power supplies (including USB) can sometimes introduce line noise. Better safe than sorry.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hilary

Quote from: cuthbert on August 01, 2013, 08:04:32 AMJust for the sake of audio clarity, I'd stick to rechargeables or alkaline batteries when recording in the BR80, as power supplies (including USB) can sometimes introduce line noise. Better safe than sorry.

that's why I switched to batteries.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

chip

Well, after all that I bought some more batteries, eneloop http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-products/eneloop-batteries/eneloop.html. These are supposed to be the next gen rechargeable batteries. I didn't want to risk anything on the usb side, also I have heard that a hum can be present using the ac adapter depending on how the house is wired up. The batteries i do have, having had lot's of charges are possibly reaching the end of their life? I can live with the batteries for now, but, I have many different devices I have to charge, suppose it keeps me busy.

Interesting how more possibilities have popped up about the usb power though.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.