Recording with FX or not? That is the question!

Started by Super 8, July 07, 2013, 03:56:41 PM

Super 8

So I've been experimenting on both the Boss Micro and the BR-800 with recording DRY however, on both units, when I switch to LOCATION mode I can't seem to work out how to actually stamp/print a dry signal with an effect then revert back to the default record mode.  For example:  I lay down an electric guitar part listening to a preset sound yet recording it 'dry'.  I then add some 'on mic' stuff.  When I go back to my dry E Gtr part and 'find my sound' post-recording as it were how exactly do I stamp this found sound so I can then change the LOCATION back to record dry/ record wet setting whatever? 

64Guitars

You have to use bounce mode to make a new recording of the track with the effect applied.

For example, suppose you record electric guitar to Tr1v1 with LOCATION set to INPUT <REC DRY>. Then you play back the track while experimenting with different effects. After you decide which effect you want, you would go into bounce mode, set the bounce destination to (for example) Tr1v2, set the counter to 00:00:00, set all of the track levels to minimum except track 1, and start recording. After the song finishes, press STOP. Now your original, dry track is still on Tr1v1 (in case you decide later to try a different effect) and Tr1v2 contains a copy of the track with the effect applied. When v-track 2 is selected on track 1, you'll hear the guitar with the effect. When v-track 1 is selected, you'll hear the dry guitar.

Of course, to resume recording normally (ie; effects recorded with the track), you'd set the LOCATION back to INPUT <NORMAL>.

Personally, I can't be bothered recording dry and having to bounce each track later through the desired effect. So I just record normally with the effects. If I later decide I'd like a different effect, I redo the track. Chances are, I'll play it better on the second take anyway. :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Speed Demon

I prefer to record instruments and vocals with no effects at all. Very clean.
I add effects to individual tracks on the computer after track scrubbing, editing and synching is complete otherwise all tracks end up with the same effect and the effects used on instruments do not always translate well for vocals. And who needs overdrive on a sax or piano?

I never need to replay a track, as the edited but unaffected originals are always available.
With three terabytes of hard drive space on the computer, I'm not at all concerned about
running out of space. In the development of a single song I usually generate approximately
one gigabyte of music files.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Oldrottenhead

i only record dry when i am told to by others i'm collaborating with.

so fx on for me,

cant see the point of adding fx later. the fx you have on affects how you are gonna play. back in the day when i only had a pc to record too i would add fx cos i could, but it doesn't beat playing something live with fx on, whether it is an external fx box or internal fx. then you can use the effect to create or whatever, does that make sense.

i maybe add reverb, and when mixing using mastering tools is about only effects i use after recording.

only thing i usually record dry is my juno di, but i never add any fx to that after recording..
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Super 8

Interesting insights people, very interesting - THANK YOU! (And a big thanks to 64Gtrs for explaining exactly how to do this!)

64Guitars

Quote from: Speed Demon on July 07, 2013, 04:44:11 PMI add effects to individual tracks on the computer after track scrubbing, editing and synching is complete otherwise all tracks end up with the same effect and the effects used on instruments do not always translate well for vocals. And who needs overdrive on a sax or piano?

That's why you have to set all of the track levels to minimum before bouncing, except the track you want to apply the effect to. So, if your guitar is on track 1v1 and you want to apply a distortion effect to it, for example, then you'd set the faders for tracks 2 through 8 to minimum and bounce to track 1v2. Then the result of the bounce on Tr1v2 will only contain your guitar with the distortion effect. The other tracks won't be included in Tr1v2 because their levels were at minimum. So those tracks can still be played without the distortion effect.

Of course, adding effects on the computer can have benefits too. Mainly, you usually would have a lot more effects available. So whatever way works best for you. But it is possible to apply overdrive to dry guitar tracks in the BR without affecting the sax and piano tracks. You simply exclude the sax and piano from the bounce by dropping their levels.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Speed Demon

ORH, send me one of your vocal tracks. Preferably, one that is going into a humorous song.

I will make you sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Of course, you wouldn't want your guitar to sound like that. Or maybe so...

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 07, 2013, 04:58:58 PMcant see the point of adding fx later. the fx you have on affects how you are gonna play.

Definitely. That's why you'd use INPUT <REC DRY> rather than simply turning the insert effects off. You'll play differently through a distorted amp model, for example, than you would through a clean amp model (or no amp model at all). But your playing won't change as much from one distorted amp to another. So, for example, you could record dry while monitoring through a Marshall model, then later change it to a MESA/Boogie model or a Soldano model. But you probably wouldn't want to change it to a JC-120 amp model because you didn't play with a clean sound in mind; you played with a distorted Marshall in mind.

But, like I said, I'd rather not bother with all that. I just record with the amp model and effects I want and if I change my mind later, I just record another take with a different amp model and/or effects. Then I'm playing according to the amp and effects that I hear while recording. As you said, it does affect how I play so it's the best approach for me.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Yea I try to record the sound I want. I did try years ago to figure out how to record dry on my 900 but it seemed like a huge pain in the ass. I dig less ass pain!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

FX always on for me.

The mixing process starts the moment I record the first layer, so I need to hear how each part interacts with the rest as I go. I don't think I could record guitar parts dry as different patches can change / influence the way you play.