Vote for the Mar/Apr 2013 "Artists/Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, February 23, 2013, 01:56:47 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from March 1 to April 30. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on February 28th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Artists/Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Theme/Genre" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=17797.0

Please vote in both polls.

Note: Several of the choices have been limited by the admin team, so it's important to read the following descriptions before voting.

Descriptions:

DeadRockstarFest - Not just any dead rockstar. We'll only accept covers of songs by the following eight dead artists:

• Captain Beefheart
  • Syd Barrett
  • Kurt Cobain
  • Phil Lynott
  • Roy Orbison
  • Sam Cooke
  • Buddy Holly
  • Marc Bolan

You can, of course, cover songs by the bands that the artists were in, but only songs on which they actually performed. For example, Syd Barrett was in Pink Floyd, but he only played on three of the songs from their second album, A Saucerful of Secrets, and is not on any of the subsequent albums. So don't submit Pink Floyd songs that Syd didn't play on. The same goes for the other artists in this fest, though they're not as likely to be absent from their band's recordings.

VarietyFest 2 - A sequel to our first VarietyFest from January/February 2012. This time round, we'll cover songs by the following six artists:

• Dire Straits
  • XTC
  • Aerosmith
  • Mott the Hoople
  • The Smiths
  • Talking Heads

We'll also accept covers of songs by core members of those groups as solo acts. So you can cover Mark Knopfler, Andy Partridge, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Ian Hunter, Morrissey, David Byrne, etc.

Classic Albums - Not just any classic album. We'll only accept covers of songs from the following four albums:

• "Tea for the Tillerman" by Cat Stevens
  • "Get Happy!!" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions
  • "Unknown Pleasures" by Joy Division
  • "Transformer" by Lou Reed

It would be cool if we could manage to cover all of the songs on one or more of these albums.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha

danieldesete

What do you call variety?
In France it is quite a negative word, it would be old fashioned crooners' music, sang on saturday night TV shows  in front of grannies falling asleep... Nothing like The Smiths or Dire Straits...
hou hou ha ha

steelguitar

I propose a DeadRockstarFest... but a special one : a Club27Fest.
You all knows the famous "club 27", musicians all died at 27 :
Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, Robert Johnson, etc
What do you think of it for a future festival?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

T.C. Elliott

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

Quote from: danieldesete on February 25, 2013, 07:14:42 AMWhat do you call variety?
In France it is quite a negative word, it would be old fashioned crooners' music, sang on saturday night TV shows  in front of grannies falling asleep... Nothing like The Smiths or Dire Straits...

Variety, in this usage, simply means a diverse assortment of artists. So, rather than choosing just one artist for the fest or several similar or related artists, the choices for VarietyFest are meant to be different and unrelated so there's something for everyone. Although, looking at the list now, I see that we've chosen all rock/pop artists. We probably should have chosen some artists from other genres to make it more diverse.

Here's a definition I found via Google:

• The quality or state of being different or diverse; the absence of uniformity, sameness, or monotony.
  • A number or range of things of the same general class that are different or distinct in character or quality.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

The admin team discussed the idea of a 27ClubFest, but the Wikipedia page shows 44 artists currently in that club and we decided that we preferred to select a smaller number of artists. We might revisit the idea of a 27ClubFest in the future but more likely we'd just choose another eight deceased artists. We'll see. Maybe we could choose eight from the 27Club list.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

If you knew me you know I love Variety!  ;)

I hate seeing Dead people!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

dasilvasings

QuoteIn France it is quite a negative word, it would be old fashioned crooners' music, sang on saturday night TV shows  in front of grannies falling asleep

You got my vote!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha