Vote for the Jan/Feb 2013 "Theme/Genre" festival

Started by 64Guitars, December 31, 2012, 08:58:18 AM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from January 3 to February 28. Voting starts now and runs for 3 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on January 3rd. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Theme/Genre" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Artists/Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=17264.0

Please vote in both polls.

As always, we encourage you to write an original song for the Theme/Genre festival, but covers are welcome too.

Descriptions of some of the less-obvious choices:

Home Made Fest - "All instruments have to be constructed from things lying around the home. Professional manufacturing where it relates to a musical instrument is not permitted."
"Permitted - Pots and pans and bottle top shakers, tea chest basses, wine glasses with water in for tuning, home made stringed instruments. Obviously vocals, home made pipes (permitted are brass instrument mouth pieces just coz I value my lips). All instruments have to be described and justified."

JingleFest - Write an advertising jingle for any product or service; real or imagined. Or cover your favourite jingle.

NoStringsFest - Songs recorded without any stringed instruments nor simulations of them. No guitars, no ukuleles, no mandolins, no bass guitars, etc. Instead, use synthesizers, harmonicas, flutes, trumpets, percussion, etc. I'm not sure about piano. Technically, it's a stringed instrument but we don't generally think of it as such. If NoStringsFest wins the vote, we can decide about piano then.

AnatomyFest - Songs about body parts.
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kenny mac

Is the manjole  fest not a bit one sided? What if like me you have none of these instruments?the joy of contributing is up in the air :'(

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: kenny mac on January 02, 2013, 05:50:45 PMIs the manjole  fest not a bit one sided? What if like me you have none of these instruments?the joy of contributing is up in the air :'(

That's a good point, Kenny. I don't have any of those instruments either. Well, actually, I do have a banjo-mandolin but it's in need of repair and is currently unplayable. So I won't be able to contribute either. I suppose that we could use keyboards to simulate those instruments, but they're not the kind of instruments that usually work well from a keyboard. They need to strummed or plucked. Another option is that we could allow guitar covers of songs made famous on those instruments, such as "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" (banjo) or "Tiny Bubbles" (ukulele) but there aren't a lot of songs to choose from. So, you're right. If ManjoleleFest wins, a lot of members will be left out.

I just saw oldrottenhead's post. He's right; iOS apps are another option that could work.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kenny mac

I suppose some songcrafters could put out instrumentals on yukes etc for others to put lyrics and sing on ;D