BR-864 Compact Flash Card Question

Started by iluvchiclets, December 07, 2012, 05:53:09 AM

iluvchiclets

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

The 1GB Delkin card I bought looks like the picture I have attached (but it only says 1GB on the front.)  It does not have a BOSS label on it, just the Delkin blue/green label.

That's amazing about the system software version - I could not find that on the machine.  Mine is 1.00, so an update is definitely in order.  I hope that solves the problem.

I am going to do a search for that update, and I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thank you all again for your support.

(edit: Just had a quick look at the Roland sites, and I only see version 1.02 on Roland Germany's site.  I think I have the right item?:

http://www.rolandmusik.de/ftp/pub/downloads/tecfiles/A_bis_F/BR864_CF_1v02.zip

The translation seems a bit funny, but it should go Okay!

iluvchiclets

Just finished the update to 1.02, went fine without any problems.  :)

Still cannot get the Delkin 1GB card to work.  I still get the error message "Unsupported Card" when turning the BR on as well as when I ask to format the card on the BR.

64Guitars

Glad the update went okay. It's weird that the Delkin doesn't work. Maybe it's defective. When I bought my SanDisk Ultra II, I did some speed tests and was disappointed with the results. I wrote to SanDisk tech support and they said I should be seeing faster speeds. I took it back to FutureShop and exchanged it for another of exactly the same thing and it worked much faster. So it's possible that the Delkin card will work with a BR-864 but you just got a bad one like I did with my first Ultra II. I guess you should take the Delkin back to the store and ask for an exchange or refund. Then try another card. Maybe the one from Long & McQuade. Given all the trouble you've had, it might be best to take your BR-864 with you to L&M and try to format the card in the store. It will save you a trip back if it doesn't work.

I guess it's possible that there's something wrong with your BR-864. But it's weird that you're able to use the smaller cards. If there was a problem with the BR, you'd think it would affect all cards, not just the 1 GB cards. If you continue to have bad luck with 1 GB cards, maybe you should try some more 256 MB or 512 MB cards. If you could get a few of those, you should have enough storage. Like I said, you can just move your finished songs to the computer to make more room for new songs. You have to do that with a 1 GB card anyway. With a 512 MB card, you'd just have to do it a bit more often. In a way, that's a good thing because you'll have less to lose if the card fails. If you had a dozen songs on a 1 GB card with no backup and the card suddenly died, it would be a big loss. With a 512 MB card, you'd probably have half as many songs so the loss wouldn't be as big.

One thought just occurred to me. Are you using batteries or an AC adapter when formatting the card? Roland recommends using the AC adapter to ensure consistent power during the format. I agree with them, but in this case you might want to try some fresh batteries just to see if it makes a difference. It's possible that your AC adapter isn't supplying quite enough power or has some other problem that's causing the BR to reject the cards. If you're able to format the Delkin when using fresh batteries, then you'll know the AC adapter is suspect. Is it a Boss PSA_120 adapter? I wouldn't use anything else. The BR requires regulated power and many adapters are not regulated.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

iluvchiclets

Interestingly enough, I have been using batteries all this time.  After reading your last message I tried it with the Boss AC adapter (PSA 120T) and it still would not format.

I am going to assume that perhaps the memory is bad, and I will take it back.  I will take your advice and bring the BR with me in the event I can get a replacement...it would be nice to try it out then and there. 

Thank you for guiding me throughout this process.

iluvchiclets

I did return to the store, and we tried a replacement Delkin CF card.  I still got the "Unsupported" message.  So I think the memory cards I have are OK, it's just the BR is very sensitive to formatting larger cards.

I have read stories on and off over the years about the BRs and memory-sensitivity, so I think I will just chalk it up to that. 

As an interesting side note, I also owned a BR600 for a short time years ago.  When I added a new CF card to the 600 I had troubles as well.  Taking it back to Long and McQuade, the Recording Department was aware of some of the issues with formatting cards and they put the card into a BR900CD they had on the shelf.  They formatted the card on the BR900, and then it worked fine in my BR600!  Perhaps an untapped service someone could offer?  :)

banjaxed

Hi,
Just noticed this thread and hopefully I can help. I just bought a BR900CD and it came with the original card plus 2 1gb cards. If the Br864 and the Br900 cards are interchangeable you are most welcome to have my spare card for the cost of postage from the UK. The make of card in case it helps with the compatability question is Kingston Technologies CF/1GB. Contact me if you would like me to send it to you.
Regards,
maurice.

iluvchiclets

Thank you for the very kind offer.

I have sent you a PM.  Happy Holidays to all our members!

banjaxed

Have sent you a PM, please let me know if you have received it as I am not very familiar with this site being a newbie.

iluvchiclets

I just thought I would let everyone know I finally succeeded in getting a 1GB card to work.

banjaxed was super wonderful in sending me a 1GB card that was formatted in his BR900 - a work-around to my formatting problem!  I had seen this done once before in a music store years ago (as I mentioned in my earlier post.)

When the 1GB card arrived, I put it in the BR864 and I got a "Card Read Error" (but it did not reject the card or say anything such as "Unsupported.")  So I held my breath, formatted the new card in the BR864, and I'm happy to say it is working fine.  This appears to me to be a workaround for BR864 owners.

I would like to send a big thank you to banjaxed for his kindness, and thank you all for your friendly help.  I too hope I can help in the future.