Suggestions for future festivals

Started by 64Guitars, June 12, 2012, 02:38:01 PM

64Guitars

This post of oldrottenhead's gave me an idea. How about an Analog-to-Digital fest? The idea would be to take a song (original or cover) that you recorded in the olden days of analog tape and re-do it on your current digital multitrack recorder or DAW. Then you'd post both versions. Only the new digital version would be added to the festival jukebox, but you must also post the old analog version in the same topic so we can compare them. And you should provide as much info as possible about the original recording - when was it made?, what recording equipment was used?, what instruments did you play?, who else is in the recording (friends, former bandmates, etc., if applicable) and what did they contribute?

Might be interesting.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

FuzzFace

How about a Beatles Black Album festival.
That is, the compilation of post-Beatles solo material from the Fab Four conceived by Ethan Hawke for the movie "Boyhood".

The explanation in Ethan Hawke's words were the best:
"There's this thing that happens when you listen to too much of the solo stuff separately — too much Lennon: suddenly there's a little too much self-involvement in the room; too much Paul and it can become sentimental — let's face it, borderline goofy; too much George: I mean, we all have our spiritual side but it's only interesting for about six minutes, ya know? Ringo: He's funny, irreverent, and cool, but he can't sing — he had a bunch of hits in the '70s (even more than Lennon) but you aren't gonna go home and crank up a Ringo Starr album start to finish, you're just not gonna do that. When you mix up their work, though, when you put them side by side and let them flow — they elevate each other, and you start to hear it: T H E B E A T L E S."

The track listing is as follows (available via BuzzFeed http://www.buzzfeed.com/ethanhawke/boyhood-the-black-album#.cfEYYqAx9):

Disc 1:
1. Paul McCartney & Wings, "Band on the Run"
2. George Harrison, "My Sweet Lord"
3. John Lennon feat. The Flux Fiddlers & the Plastic Ono Band, "Jealous Guy"
4. Ringo Starr, "Photograph"
5. John Lennon, "How?"
6. Paul McCartney, "Every Night"
7. George Harrison, "Blow Away"
8. Paul McCartney, "Maybe I'm Amazed"
9. John Lennon, "Woman"
10.Paul McCartney & Wings, "Jet"
11. John Lennon, "Stand by Me"
12. Ringo Starr, "No No Song"
13. Paul McCartney, "Junk"
14. John Lennon, "Love"
15. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, "The Back Seat of My Car"
16. John Lennon, "Watching the Wheels"
17. John Lennon, "Mind Games"
18. Paul McCartney & Wings, "Bluebird"
19. John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)"
20. George Harrison, "What Is Life"

Disc 2:
1. John Lennon, "God"
2. Wings, "Listen to What the Man Said"
3. John Lennon, "Crippled Inside"
4. Ringo Starr, "You're Sixteen You're Beautiful (And You're Mine)"
5. Paul McCartney & Wings, "Let Me Roll It"
6. John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band, "Power to the People"
7. Paul McCartney, "Another Day"
8. George Harrison, "If Not For You (2001 Digital Remaster)"
9. John Lennon, "(Just Like) Starting Over"
10. Wings, "Let 'Em In"
11. John Lennon, "Mother"
12. Paul McCartney & Wings, "Helen Wheels"
13. John Lennon, "I Found Out"
14. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey"
15. John Lennon, Yoko Ono & The Plastic Ono Band, "Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)"
15. George Harrison, "Not Guilty (2004 Digital Remaster)"
16. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, "Heart of the Country"
17. John Lennon, "Oh Yoko!"
18. Wings, "Mull of Kintyre"
19. Ringo Starr, "It Don't Come Easy"

Disc 3:
1. John Lennon, "Grow Old With Me (2010 Remaster)"
2. Wings, "Silly Love Songs"
3. The Beatles, "Real Love"
4. Paul McCartney & Wings, "My Love"
5. John Lennon, "Oh My Love"
6. George Harrison, "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)"
7. Paul McCartney, "Pipes of Peace"
8. John Lennon, "Imagine"
9. Paul McCartney, "Here Today"
10. George Harrison, "All Things Must Pass"

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

danieldesete

you'll get my vote for that beatles black album !
hou hou ha ha

cuthbert

Love the Beatles Black Album idea - it reminds me of the "albums that never were" blog.

And as a former cassette multitracker owner, I think an Analog to Digital fest would also be pretty cool.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

bruno

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 26, 2015, 01:45:25 PMThis post of oldrottenhead's gave me an idea. How about an Analog-to-Digital fest? The idea would be to take a song (original or cover) that you recorded in the olden days of analog tape and re-do it on your current digital multitrack recorder or DAW. Then you'd post both versions. Only the new digital version would be added to the festival jukebox, but you must also post the old analog version in the same topic so we can compare them. And you should provide as much info as possible about the original recording - when was it made?, what recording equipment was used?, what instruments did you play?, who else is in the recording (friends, former bandmates, etc., if applicable) and what did they contribute?

Might be interesting.

I love this idea - when can we start :-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on August 29, 2015, 05:42:29 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on August 26, 2015, 01:45:25 PMThis post of oldrottenhead's gave me an idea. How about an Analog-to-Digital fest? The idea would be to take a song (original or cover) that you recorded in the olden days of analog tape and re-do it on your current digital multitrack recorder or DAW. Then you'd post both versions. Only the new digital version would be added to the festival jukebox, but you must also post the old analog version in the same topic so we can compare them. And you should provide as much info as possible about the original recording - when was it made?, what recording equipment was used?, what instruments did you play?, who else is in the recording (friends, former bandmates, etc., if applicable) and what did they contribute?

Might be interesting.

Some of use have only been doing it for a couple of years . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hook

Quote from: Hilary on August 29, 2015, 06:55:13 AM

Might be interesting.

Some people don't like country songs,  I can't remember my dreams.....it's got to get the votes to win.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hilary

Quote from: Hook on August 29, 2015, 07:17:11 AM
Quote from: Hilary on August 29, 2015, 06:55:13 AM

Might be interesting.

Some people don't like country songs,  I can't remember my dreams.....it's got to get the votes to win.

It's not very inclusive though is it. You have a choice whether or not to write a country song and participate, some members don't have the option to participate in the Analog to Digital Fest - it's meant to be a community, we should all be able to be able to participate if we wish to.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça