Vote for the May/June 2012 "Theme/Genre" festival

Started by 64Guitars, April 27, 2012, 11:25:54 AM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from May 1 to June 30. Voting starts now and runs for 3 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on May 1. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Theme/Genre" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Artists/Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15073.0

Please vote in both polls.

Here are descriptions of the less-obvious poll choices:

DIY Fest - Do it yourself. No backing tracks, loops, midi, or any other kind of substitutes for a musical performance. You must play all of the instruments yourself. No collaborations. No drum machines. Use your imagination to create your rhythm track. Tap on a cardboard box, play a tambourine, bongos, etc. If you have a keyboard with drum sounds, you can play the drum track on your keyboard - but you must play it - no programming/sequencers.

Summer songs - see https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7891.msg104172#msg104172

DuetsFest - Record a duet with another Songcrafter. Or do a cover of a duet (Sonny & Cher, John Travolta/Olivia Newton John, etc.) If you have a BR-800 or some other device with vocal transformations, you can use that to do a duet with yourself (for example, sing one part normal and process another part to sound female).

ManjoleleFest - Song must feature mandolin, banjo, and/or ukulele.

No instruments - We haven't thought of a name for this one yet (any suggestions?). The idea is to record a song without any conventional musical instruments. Instead, use only kitchen utensils, rubber bands, comb & tissue paper, cardboard boxes, buckets, or any other household items to create the sounds for your song.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Question?  ???

For DIY. On thumbjam there are 2 ways you can play your instrument you selected. With Thumb and/or fingers
and also there is a feature where you can hum your notes into the phone and it exactly mimics those
notes. It also isn`t easy to do. Just wondering if that would qualify?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

I'm not familiar with Thumbjam but, from what I've heard of it, I think either of the input methods you mentioned would be okay. As long as you're performing each of the notes yourself, as opposed to programming them or triggering a pre-recorded phrase.

However, I think it would be more in the DIY spirit to use conventional instruments rather than hi-tech gizmos like Thumbjam. So, instead of playing a violin on Thumbjam, for example, consider playing the same notes on your guitar. You might not get quite the sound you're hoping for but at least you're playing it on a real instrument. I think people can relate to that better than if you played it on a phone.

The bottom line is that Thumbjam and similar apps are allowed but not necessarily encouraged. Still, it's up to each member. As long as they play all the notes themselves, we won't be too concerned about what they played them on.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

After your explanation I'd have to say I wouldn't want
any electronics at all. It makes sense to use imagination
for that fest.

Thanks 64!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Hook

Quote from: Gnasty on April 27, 2012, 08:18:58 PMAfter your explanation I'd have to say I wouldn't want
any electronics at all. It makes sense to use imagination
for that fest.

Thanks 64!
Don't even plug in the br!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Burtog

DIY = A sort of Organicfest.

The idea is growing on me!! :D
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 27, 2012, 11:25:54 AMNo instruments - We haven't thought of a name for this one yet (any suggestions?). The idea is to record a song without any conventional musical instruments. Instead, use only kitchen utensils, rubber bands, comb & tissue paper, cardboard boxes, buckets, or any other household items to create the sounds for your song.

Or steel ruler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GclK1aUxZWA

or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxSDOHTIXI

This one's not as impressive but I like the idea of taping multiple rulers to the desk at different lengths so they're tuned to the right notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoIW-OminAY

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

ImaginationFest. I like that, Gnasty. It's certainly the best suggestion so far. ;)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno