Nashville tuning set up

Started by Farrell Jackson, March 29, 2012, 11:00:38 AM

Farrell Jackson

I just set up my Fender Telecoustic for the Nashville tuning and what a cool
jangly sound. I don't play this guitar much so it was a good choice for this set
up. I have several sets of new partial strings that have been robbed over the
years to replace broken ones. So I grabbed the closet gauges that allowed the
bottom 4 strings to be tuned an octave higher. I ended up with an E-.028,
A-.018, D-.013, G-.010, and I left the B-.014, and high E-.011. The .028 is the
only wound string.

It has a mandolin like sound, especially strumming on chords up the neck.

Cool! I can't wait to try it on a recording as back up to the main guitars.

Any of you ever play around with this tuning?

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chip

Yep me. I did it with the Danelectro 63, perfect for that guitar which has now sadly been sold. I used it at a gig once but it was far to jangly and did not fit in with what I thought it might. But it was fun for a while. Although I quite liked it, I don't think I will bother again, the other guitars I have are not suited to it but the Dano was, perhaps a mandolin is my next big thing!!!!!! then again?
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Greeny

I've never even heard of this, let alone try it. But a jangly sound? That sounds right up my street. Thanks for the heads-up. Will be investigating...!

hooper

I keep an old Yamaha 180 set up in 'high strung' (Nashville tuning).  If you first record a regular guitar part and then double-track it by playing the same part again with the high-strung guitar, then pan the two tracks out wide.... you get a bigger but cleaner 12-string sound than what you get just recording a 12-string guitar by itself.  Or sometimes just put on a track of the high-strung guitar by itself, especially with a lot of compression set for sustain... playing only one string at a time. Great because if doesn't take up much room in the mix.    
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

suburban behemoth

When Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recorded American Girl, They record the the sames parts, just playing the second part an octave up.  Story goes that Roger McGuinn heard it on the radio, he was confused. He couldn't remember recorded that song!

Get yourself two guitars and a 12 string set.
Figure out which set you on want on which instrument.
String em up.
Enjoy!
recorder
Boss BR-864