BR-800 Version 1.11?

Started by iluvchiclets, March 03, 2012, 09:13:28 PM

iluvchiclets

Hi all,

I have rented a BR-800 from my local music store and, I notice when I turn it on, it displays the Version 1.11.

According to the Boss website, the latest download is 1.10?  Does anyone know the difference between the two?  I was wondering if it was the fact the unit has a 2 GB memory card, as well as a spoken audio track called "BR Demo" along with the Demo Song.

Just curious what I have in my hands here?  I am really enjoying it!

Thanks for reading.

kurrykid

Hmmm...interesting.  I thought 1.10 was the latest available as well.

Ferryman

I did a firmware upgrade a couple of weeks back and it was 1.10, which is still the only one on the website. Interesting.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

I haven't seen 1.11 anywhere yet. It's possible that they won't release it as a download. We've seen that in the past. I think the only update ever released for the Micro BR was version 1.04. Yet some people said that their Micro BR came with version 1.03. Obviously, the 1.03 update existed internally within Roland but was never made available to customers as a download. And the Update History for the BR-80's version 1.04 mentions stuff that was fixed in version 1.03. Yet version 1.03 was never available for download. So it's possible that the BR-800 might eventually have a version 1.12 update (for example) which includes the fixes from 1.11.

In the meantime, if anyone really wants the version 1.11 update, you could try calling Roland tech suppport and ask them to send you the files. I'm not sure if they will but it's worth a try.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

iluvchiclets

I ended up buying the BR-800.

I guess there is no way to know what the difference is with the 1.11 firmware. 

My Owner's manual includes chapters on all the cut, paste, move, and editing options...I understand that when the BR-800 was first released it did not have these options.  I wonder if 1.11 is the updated BR-800 with the newer manual? 

64Guitars

Quote from: iluvchiclets on March 06, 2012, 01:19:46 PMMy Owner's manual includes chapters on all the cut, paste, move, and editing options...I understand that when the BR-800 was first released it did not have these options.

Those editing features were added with version 1.10. I assume that the changes in 1.11 are minor. Otherwise, I would hope that they'd have made it available for download. They've probably just made further improvements to card compatibility. They seem to do that with each new version.

The latest BR-800 Owner's Manual that I'm aware of is revision 4. What revision is yours? (It's the last two digits of the number found below the barcode on the back cover). The new editing features are described in a supplement to the manual which comes with the 1.10 update. I've only seen revision 1 of the supplement. Is that what you have?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

iluvchiclets

Hi again,

The numbers on my manual say:

2011-11-A3-4C

I did notice that my BR-800 has a 2 gb card included, whereas the Boss website mentions it comes with a 1GB card.  Perhaps there is a difference there? 

Also, as I mentioned in my first message, the recorder came with a demo song ("Don't Stop Me Now") as well as a spoken introduction to the BR.  Are those new additions or do all users have those two items?

64Guitars

Quote from: iluvchiclets on March 06, 2012, 02:10:32 PMI did notice that my BR-800 has a 2 gb card included, whereas the Boss website mentions it comes with a 1GB card.  Perhaps there is a difference there?

There's little demand for 1GB memory cards nowadays so they tend to be expensive and hard to find. Boss has probably started including a 2GB card because it's easier to find suppliers and probably costs them less. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the system version.

QuoteAlso, as I mentioned in my first message, the recorder came with a demo song ("Don't Stop Me Now") as well as a spoken introduction to the BR.  Are those new additions or do all users have those two items?

Those have always been included with the BR-800.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

gorgorsan

Hi, just got myself brand new BR-800 and when switched on it shows 1.11 for the OS but there is no info about it on the internet. Even on Roland site the latest is 1.10. Anyone?

64Guitars

I've not seen 1.11 anywhere yet. It's probably a very minor update from 1.10 which Roland decided not to release. If a 1.12 should eventually appear, it will include all changes from 1.11. Roland often creates minor updates that are not released publicly but are included in new units leaving the factory.

It's possible that the changes in 1.11 might have been needed as a result of a minor component change in manufacturing. In that case, only the newly-manufactured BR-800s that included that component would need 1.11. And since those units would all ship with 1.11, there'd be no reason to release it to end users. This is completely hypothetical, of course. I have no idea if they've changed anything in manufacturing. But if they did, it might explain why 1.11 isn't available from any of the Roland sites.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website