Drum Track mixed with MBR

Started by Rata-tat-tat, February 21, 2012, 10:48:14 PM

Rata-tat-tat

Drum Track
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Ok so I've been fiddling with this pan issue... I did a little sample on the MBR... I'm getting LT & RT pan through this thing just fine... I've also figured out the Cubase AI issue and it seems to be working fine now too.... I think it was the driver for the mixer I'm using Yamaha MW12CX.... I did a reinstall on the drivers and presto... everything seems to work now. All I need now is my audio interface... Now if I can just crap out about 500 bucs I'll be in business.

The DP02 is going bye-bye.... >:( >:( >:(

So here it is boogers and all... maybe one of you talented folks will know what to do with this!!! Feel free... it's all yours.

V/R
Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Tony W

I can't wait to play around with this.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

phantasm777

a little suggestion, not that you have to use it.
i mix  the snare and hi hat to the left almost 3/4. (doesnt have to be that far) reason is, being in the middle like that gets crowded, for me keeping just the bass drum in the middle sounds better.
not that yours sounded bad, but the seperation makes it more unto its own. sometimes you might need to turn the channel up slightly when you do it. try it, you can also do it to the right but i do left because i mix it as i am hearing it as if the listener was behind the drums too. i like giving that perspective so if they want to imagine or do air drums, it all follows through.
i use 8 mics so far and it is working out well. left drums and cymbals on the left channels, right on the right, middle in the middle, and snare and hi hat off to the left somewhat. doing it in reverse would give the effect of being in front of the drums, i like people having the slight experience of hearing it as if they were playing it from behind the drums.

Rata-tat-tat

Hey Frank.... thanks for the pointer... I'll give it a shot... never tried that method. Everything I've read thus far suggested the snare and kick should be centered. I'm thinking maybe I should experiment with different positions on the pan, because I am trying to get the illusion of being behind the kit rather than in front of it. Thanks again!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

64Guitars

For what it's worth, here's how Boss pans the drums and cymbals of their preset kits in the BRs.

Kick              C00
Snare            C00
Open HH      L13
Closed HH    L13
Tom 1            L21
Tom 2            R04
Tom 3            R13
Tom 4            R26
Crash            L12
Ride              R16
Cowbell         L06
Cross Stick    C00

C00 is center, L50 would be full left, and R50 would be full right.

This data was compiled from the BR Rhythm Editor software. All of the preset kits have exactly the same panning. I also compared it to my BR-864 and found the panning to be identical to that of the BR Rhythm Editor. I assume that the drum machine panning in the other BR models is the same.

I'm not saying that this panning is the only correct way to do it. I'm only saying that this is how Boss chose to do it in their BR drum machines.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Rata-tat-tat

Thanks 64... I'll be refering back to this thread often... consider this the "Drum Bible" thread. I'm only using 7 mic's at the momment... I would like to add an eighth mic so I can catch my center tom's seperately... Right now I have one mic centere'd between the 2 toms and the pan is set to C00. Eventually once I get all of the mic's and settings figured out to my liking... I would also like to experiment with less mic's as the good Mr. Henwrench pointed out to me a while back... and then eventually making my own drum samples that are beatmapped... I'm sure you guys would appreciate beatmapped samples on this site as well.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

phantasm777

rat- my way of mic-ing i didn't get from anyone. i just figured it would be better, since i have a lot of drums and cymbals, to spread it out and toss the snare a bot to the left since it is anyways as i play. realistic but from the drummers perspective and angles. works well if someone like air-drumming, cause you can go across in the same way the drumm does, say on fills and such. :P
other than my 2 centered - center toms, and a couple of my centered cymbals, all the rest were far right or far left. nothing inbetween, so i figured the snare and hi hat are pretty hand in hand for beats.
the bass being on its own in center. a seprate mic for bass always seems better than sharing it with any other centered mic. with my mixer.
my 2 left toms and my 3 right are on stereo, 2 mics l and r inputs.. whereas my bass, center cymbals, center toms, and snare hihat only have ony one input but i can put them l or c or r.
inputs 1 -2  -3 -4 are one input mics. 5-6, 7-8, -9-10 have 2 inputs but if you pan either side the other side suffers in less vol. unless, which i do on 9 if i put it soley on 1 and only use one input then i can pan anywhere but one less mic.
hope that isn't too confusing