never used midi,have no clue

Started by phantasm777, February 21, 2012, 10:29:28 PM

phantasm777

i looked around about midi info here but my thing is i only have one instrument, my synth that has a midi in - out - thru connection in back. 3 connections. i have no other midi instruments or anything else midi. i understand in and out but dont know what "thru" is. also exactly what can i do with the midi connection on my synth? from what i've read here i can use mellotron vst's with midi. i dont have a midid chord, how many would i need? does a midi connector fit into pc so i can use audacity? can anyone suggest what i might need since i have no midi connectors, and no connectors from pc to midi? i ask here cause most times when i read about it, they explain it like you've already used them, and i'm a virgin about midi's. :P

Vaisvil

you need something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329919420&sr=8-1

and I recommend this as well

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-US65010-Sustain-Pedal-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

Midi out - from keyboard to PC or another synth
Midi in - to keyboard from PC or another synth
Midi thru - daisy chain another PC to the above connections

look here at "interfaces" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

cuthbert

Quote from: phantasm777 on February 21, 2012, 10:29:28 PMfrom what i've read here i can use mellotron vst's with midi. i dont have a midid chord, how many would i need? does a midi connector fit into pc so i can use audacity?

Audacity doesn't support MIDI In/Out, or VST instruments such as the Mellotron VSTi you're referring to, although it does support most VST effects. For VSTi, you'll need a DAW or other software that can host VST instruments.

Freebies such as Cantabile Lite will allow you to play VSTis (and you can record them from the audio output on your PC), but if you want to do anything more sophisticated such as multitracking VST instruments within the software etc., then you'll want a DAW that supports VSTi, such as Reaper, Cubase, Logic, Garageband, etc.

I suggest you start small, and then learn more from there if you're interested. Googling "midi" to find information on how MIDI actually works is a great next step.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

You should read Roland's "InFocus 01: An Introduction to MIDI" which you can download here:

http://www.rolandus.com/support/support_documents/general_docs.php

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno

Midi holds great pain and great joy. Basically it allows you to chain musical equipment together. For example, I have a Roland Piano in the house, and I can connect (piano MIDI out) to my Korg Mirco-station mini keyboard (MIDI in) - and when I play the piano, the Korg plays note for note the same, just like I was pressing exactly the same keys on the second keyboard at the same time. This means I can use a full size keyboard on the roland rather than using the mini-keyboard on the Korg, or I can also play once, and generate two sounds for two or more (as you can continue the chain) musical instruments. I used the Roland Piano and the Korg together in the following track - only playing the piano once, but recorded 3 tracks, mono piano and the sync'd stereo synth. Note the synth is programmed to produce a randomish set of notes around a chord, so as I change the piano chord, so does the korg key and pattern.

It sounds horribly complicated, but its actually just a cable between two keyboards that when you play one, so does the other. Midi is a standard - so supports all kinds of gear - you can buy a Midi guitar, and this will translate notes to midi and so you can play a synth from a guitar.

You can do some really sophisticated things with Midi - completely controlling the instrument, patches and sounds, patches on effect pedals etc. So you can sync a guitar rig (assuming you are playing with a midi back track), you can automatically change effect patches on a multi-effects rig to the right patch at the right part in the music - removing the need for tap dancing on stage to change the effect.  

Its also used for synching drum machines, so I use the slicer with the BR1600. Midi out from the BR1600 sych's the slicer effect to the drum machine - this means that everything is dead in time. I tried to synch the Korg synth with the BR1600 drum beat, and it started playing a very peculiar tune, also midi foot controllers are a friggin nightmare to program. Anyway - that's how I use Midi .

Hope that helps.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

SteveB

Bru- ^^^^ I've not time to assimilate your marvelous post completely (the Meds are kicking in), but further to what you say, once you've done all that, and if you import your music as a Midi file into a Daw, you can then change it endlessly. So has you say, great pain, great joy... 8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

bruno

Quote from: SteveB on March 09, 2012, 04:35:28 PMBru- ^^^^ I've not time to assimilate your marvelous post completely (the Meds are kicking in), but further to what you say, once you've done all that, and if you import your music as a Midi file into a Daw, you can then change it endlessly. So has you say, great pain, great joy... 8)

Haha - when I was writing that I was thinking this ain't going too well - all I can say, its all figured out in my head, but I can't write it down - I should have left it as 'its a cable" :-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

I have a Midi pedal board, the most hideous thing to program. I bought the V-AMP second hand and gave me the midi pedal for free - big heavy solid thing. I spent days programming his pedal to control the V-AMP to play an open mike. The height of sophistication, I could change amp and effects and so sound with one press of a foot switch. Brilliant  Come the performance, I was on stage wondering why it wouldn't power up  ???. That was a painful learning experience and now I know why they gave it away for free  ;) There is something to be said for guitar/cable/valve amp!!!! KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

recorder
Boss BR-1600