Exile

Started by StevieM, January 18, 2009, 09:26:41 AM

StevieM

T1_V1_01
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Right, first music bit I've posted.
I wasn't going to put it on, then had second thoughts, then 3rd,4th----------up to about 27th now!
I did this a little while ago, and it's part of an idea I had. The title is 'Return from exile'.
Any ideas and comments ( apart from "scrub it and start again", already thought of that one myself), just be honest. I know the playing's not the best either.
Anyone want to add stuff?

I tried to put the MP3 player on, didn't work this time. I'll get there eventually!!!!
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

SteveG

Here's the player.....

You must have been hearing a backing in your head doing this, what I would suggest is to pick a rhythm from the MBR, you don't have to mess with the editor, just play to the rhythm. Put a bit of bass and rhythm guitar on, again it does not need to be complex, and redo it on that. Playing is fine, you are way too hard on yourself, and the idea is there. Just needs filling out.

StevieM

Oh bugger, does that mean I've got to work out how to do something else on it? ;D
Thanks for the MP3, I WILL work out how to do it myself!
Yep the backing's in there, just got to get past the voices that're in there too ;)
And cheers for the playing comment, I'm a bit like that with everything I do. The upside of that, of course, is that no-one's negative comments are as bad as my own  :)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

mr2kewl

Exile_short
Time:
0:00
Volume:
hey steve - i thought i would put a touch of bass to your song. it may be a little rough since i just played what sounded good to me while i listened. once i finished it was to big to meet the size limit. so here it is on soundclick.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7251492

let me know what you think.

here is a shortened version for a quick listen.

markr
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

StevieM

Thanks Mark, I like that. It sounds better on soundclick :)
I'll see if I can put some drums in there too somewhere, unless anyone else wants a go meantime?

mr2kewl

cool - glad you like it.

if you want to create your own soundclick account - we can get it moved over there for you. i created the soundclick account on the fly yesterday - so while it might look like i'm taking credit for my band (which doesn't exist) - it was just a result of me trying to figure out how to create the space.

markr
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

StevieM

That's Ok Mark, thanks for the offer. I might look into it later, but not right now, I'm not quite ready for that!!
You're not the first 'non existant band' to put stuff out ;D
Listening to it a another few times, any way you can seperate the bass a bit more? It seems to get a bit muddied and lost with my bit, and deserves to be a bit clearer.
On reflection, do you think the first bit is a little too long, and more emphasis needed on the last 'punchier' bits, and take it a bit further? Either that or should it be extended to something like a 9/10min track, with other bits put in?
Anyone elses thoughts on that?

mr2kewl

i kinda like the way it meanders for the first half. sort of in a way that lulls you into a laid back feeling - then quietly slips into a driving direction to finish up. maybe some percusions after that change and it begins to pick up momemtum. it would put an emphasis on the difference in the two. did you use anything to keep time or was it your own sense of timing?

StevieM

OK, I'll go along with that. I'll try to put some drums in there when I've worked out how to do it!

Just me, no metronome, rhthym or anything.

mr2kewl

i'm impressed steve. timing is one of my biggest challenges and the main thing every bassist should be good at.

if you don't mind - before you add any percussions, i would like to clean up the intro while your thinking about the drums.