BR 800 - USING MICROPHONE

Started by scottieD, January 31, 2012, 06:16:02 AM

scottieD

Hi everyone. Plugged my Samson S2 microphone into all 4 different jacks. Nothing. the only time the inputs light up is when the 800 first gets turned on.  I have the settings on microphone. My microphone has the 'guitar jack' end, which fits in the input, or does it need the '3 prong' thingy next to it? Is there an adapter for that? I know the microphone works, I've plugged it into my Bass Amp.  Sorry to be so technical ( lol ).  Thanks in advance,
Scott

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

Flash Harry

Hi Scott,

I can't find any information on the S2 mic, can you give me a bit more detail please? Is it a dynamic or condenser mic?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

If it's a condenser you need to use an XLR cable and connect it to input 4. You also have to turn the phantom power on (p 140 in the manual).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

scottieD

Hi guys, just from reading online, I'm assuming it's a dynamic mic...and I don't think they make this model anymore, but it seems similar to a Shure...

recorder
Boss BR-800

scottieD

Now another site is telling me it's a condenser mic...sorry, just don't know, was a christmas present from a while ago...

recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

can you unplug the cable from the microphone?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

scottieD

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

What setting did you use for Input Select? You don't want it set to "MIC L/R". That's for the internal microphones. Try setting it to "INPUT4" and plug the mic into that input. And be sure to adjust the Input Sensitivity and Record Level. See pages 37 and 38 of the BR-800 manual.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

scottieD

Yeah, I've put it on Input 4, nothing, doesn't light up, as I'm assuming it should....the only thing I haven't tried is the input level....I'll try that when I get home.  thanks.

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Light up? I don't think anything lights up. The PEAK LED might light occasionally when you're singing into the microphone, but that will depend on the setting of the INPUT SENS control directly below the PEAK LED. If set correctly, the PEAK LED should light infrequently, if at all. It indicates a level of 6dB below the point where clipping occurs. If it lights frequently, you'll get clipping distortion in your recording.

The only other visual indication that the mic is working is the Input Level meter in the display. It depends on the setting of the REC LEVEL control. See page 38 of the BR-800 manual.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website