That old chestnut

Started by chip, January 02, 2012, 11:14:02 AM

chip

Yes folks the mbr drums. Can anyone explain/point me in the right direction on how to
add effects to the drums? I seem to remember Geir and a few others going on about this
 somewhere. I have tried myself but am at a loss, having this option would help me with
my eternal drumming hassles. Cheers.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Ferryman

IIRC there is a "Location" option on the Effects. You can cycle through this so it goes Input, Track 1, Track 2 etc etc and eventually you will find "Rhythm" as an option. So select that and your chosen effect will be applied to the MBR drums. Location is one of the options you can cycle through after you press the "Effects" button.

Obviously when you have effects applied to rhythm, you can't aply them to anything else at the same time.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chip

Cheers for that. I just tried some out, twangster was ok but the rest yuk... I just tried the guitar effects on the drums. Is that what you have to do? I will have to do more fiddling.

Oldrottenhead

yeah the original microbr drums get a bit boring after a while, i have never tried adding effects to them internally tho. on occassion i have saved the drums as a wav track and added to cubase to add reverb etc. but you can get more mileage out of the drums by changing the kits, dont have mbr at hand so cant explain how to. but for example you can change the rock patterns rock kit to a hip hop kit or to whatever kit you fancy.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

I've done it a few times.  On "Phreezing Monkees" I used effects on a drumtrack of just cymbals ( a panning effect) and mixed that with a "regular" drumtrack.

A detailed explanation is found here :
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=6856.msg87984#msg87984 .
As you will see there I that though I didn't use the effect directly on the drums, but on a recorded track of the drums, I could (and  probably should :) ) have done that.

I think I've used FX on drums a couple of other times but can't remember where :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

I would suggest you edit the effects so that you turn off the guitar amp and distortion, focus more on the FX where you have chorus, flange, phase etc. You can also add delay in addition to FX. Also, try some of the MC effects, they may work as is.

If you check out Cassilda's Song, this has phaser applied to the drum track https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=2100.0.

BTW, a good trick is to have two drum tracks. Record the rhythm clean to a pair of tracks, then record again to another pair of tracks, this time adding the effect. Then mix the two sets of tracks together so you have a combo of clean drums and drums with effects - add the effect in so that it creates a different feel but does not overpower. Fiddly, but can be worth it.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chip

Cheers for all that. Just tried with the the vocal effects, better. In respose to Oldrotten head, cheers I know how to change the kits etc. I think I will keep it pretty straight for now, having only recently worked out the arrangment
stuff ( almost 1 year) it does get easier the more you do it though.
One last thing I recorded 4 tracks the other day mastered them  exported to wav but when I listened back and looked at the track screen, there was an equal sign between two tracks. The vocals/bass originally in the centre were now to the right, nothing was in the centre and it sounded awful. I went back got rid of the wav file and bounced the 4 tracks then mastered again, all was fine after. I seem to recall 64 saying you could go straight to mastering if you have only 4 tracks, I must have boo boo-ed up somewhere........

64Guitars

Quote from: chip on January 03, 2012, 06:44:26 AMOne last thing I recorded 4 tracks the other day mastered them  exported to wav but when I listened back and looked at the track screen, there was an equal sign between two tracks. The vocals/bass originally in the centre were now to the right, nothing was in the centre and it sounded awful. I went back got rid of the wav file and bounced the 4 tracks then mastered again, all was fine after. I seem to recall 64 saying you could go straight to mastering if you have only 4 tracks, I must have boo boo-ed up somewhere........

The equal sign means you have Stereo Link enabled. See page 43 of the Micro BR manual. Pressing the two track buttons simultaneously toggles it.

On the Micro BR (and probably the BR-800 and BR-80, though I'm not certain without looking it up), mastering mode uses the stereo output of the mixer section as its source. So, yes, you can go straight to mastering without bouncing. In earlier BRs, you had to specify two tracks as the source for mastering. That meant you always had to bounce first to get a 2-track mix.

I don't think bouncing would affect the Stereo Link status, so you probably toggled it off without realizing it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chip

More than likely, knowing me. I will have another go

Geir

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 03, 2012, 11:01:11 AMOn the Micro BR (and probably the BR-800 and BR-80, though I'm not certain without looking it up), mastering mode uses the stereo output of the mixer section as its source. So, yes, you can go straight to mastering without bouncing. In earlier BRs, you had to specify two tracks as the source for mastering. That meant you always had to bounce first to get a 2-track mix.
On the BR-80, much to my surprice (as I didn't read the manual ::) ) the mastering doesn't even take up two V-tracks. It just creates a WAV-file !! (p 81 in manual)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........