Delia-Blind Willie McTell

Started by psychmusic, January 08, 2009, 10:27:18 AM

psychmusic

T12V2_30
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is a version of Delia, a blind willie mctell song. Bob Dylan called him the greatest blues singer of all time. Its all done in one take and the guitar is dropped down one full step with the low D dropped down to C. Feedback is requested.

Tony

This is the first time that I've ever done feedback on a forum but the people here are so good that I felt I should contribute a bit more (other than just asking questions).  I hope that I do this right.

I'm not comparing this to Blind Willie McTell. I'm taking it on its own merits.  You need to look to your thumb.  It needs the drive of your thumb working that bass.  Whatever is happening in the treble needs to have a good bass figure to balance it.  Even though the parts are different, I tend to think of fingerstyle blues as a guitar equivalent of boogie piano.  Left hand-right hand; thumb and fingers.  I'm sure a lot of people think the same way, nothing special there.  A good confident performance of this style of music can be found by looking at Kenilee Burgess on YouTube.  He rips through fingerstyle and slide.  I'm not suggesting that you play like Kenilee but have a look at his thumb technique.

Your voice reminds me of Townes Van Zandt.  And that's a good thing.

Don't ask me for examples - I'm crap and I can't sing but I'm more confident about my ears.

Having said all that, I liked what I heard and I'm glad that you posted it.

Tony

Greeny

Nice work... heartfelt simplicity and great guitar tone. As we've found on here time and time again, sometimes it's just a guitar and a vocal that works the best, and this is what you've done. Nice one.

psychmusic

thanks for the feedback..i will keep working on that thumb. By the way, I have seen Kennilee Burgess on Youtube and have one of his DVD. He is excellent. Thanks again.

Tony

I went back and listened to the Blind Willie McTell version and whilst he doesn't overplay the bass, I still think it would balance the treble and the light quality of your voice.  And I listened to yours again and I do enjoy it. Thanks for posting.

SteveG

I love stuff like this, and you did a real good job on it.

troy6120

I like the way you did it. Thanks for posting it. Your thumb is just fine.