not so new but should say hello

Started by andy casson, October 27, 2011, 01:00:32 AM

andy casson

Hi to everyone

I am Andy, father of 2 teenagers, married to a mad woman from Croydon, based in UK near Lechlade, Glos.
Now 48, been playing guitar and singing since 17, and been a member of several Originals and Covers bands up until around 1994/95 (when my son came along), the last of which was a soul covers band with a 3 piece horn section (excellent...but I only ever got £10 at the most for a gig!)

Influences:
The biggest is the Who and particulartly Pete Townshend, really grabbed me as a teenager, but all the classic rock bands are there (Stones, Beatles, Zep, Hendrix, Floyd, and more than a little partial to early AC/DC). Discovered U2 about 1983 (just before War), and Bowie. But the list is pretty much endless..love Aretha and Stevie Wonder and...and...and

Songwriting has always been for me about trying to get the music and lyrics to provoke a passionate response, whether it's heavy rock or a love song...if there's a tear in the eye, or anger, or hope in the heart while listening then job done. That's what I aim for (and sadly fall short all too often!)

So now the kids are nearly grown up, my younger brother (in Swindon) has inspired me twice now to start playing again, I posted Eyeglass (recorded in 2002) and Sons of Light (partially finished) last year... and then work took over again (Finland, then Switzerland mon-fri for 8 months), until this summer.

The surprising discovery for me has been that I have some songs in me still, my intent in the summer was to get the unrecorded songs recorded for posterity (I only have 3 marbles left and one keeps escaping)... but it has turned into a genuine enjoyment of writing and playing again...and that is in no small part thanks to the community here which is just great, and I really appreciate the positive feedback and the time it takes to sit down and listen to what I have tried to do.
I am also of the opinion that there is some outstanding talent on the site, across several genres..which keeps me listening and inspires

I am a novice really in home recording, I had a really dodgy Amstrad 4 track around 87, and then upgraded to a Foxtex in the mid 90's, but nowerdays it pc based with Sonar. Guitars -I have a Les Paul Studio my wife got me when we were really poor (still don't know how she did it), and a Vesta copy of the PRS Custom 24, accoustic - an old Dean 12 string, and for xmas last year a Tanglewood TW45. Use a Pod line 6 for the amp sim, though there is an old marshall hanging aroundin the corner.

So stay cool and talk soon

andy  :)

Greeny

Welcome! Yours is a lifestage and situation familiar to many songcrafters on here. The important thing is that we all enjoy making music and providing support to each other. I'm sure this comes through in the comments and sense of community we have here. And I think there's a few of us with less marbles than we started with, lol. It's an age thing.

I'll say hi to Pete Townshend next time I see him. He lives 5 mins walk from me, lol.

Oldrottenhead

welcome aboad andy, what are marbles. i'm a bit by the half century but the music keeps me young but guys never groiw up. love your tunes.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

thetworegs

Hi Andy I feel we're already getting to know one another through each others music......I've been very impressed at what I've heard from you keep the music coming Trevor ....oh officially welcome aboard......

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Groundy

Hi Andy and welcome, great music....Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

pjd1

Hi Andy a warm welcome from cold and wet Liverpool UK ..

PS seen The who a couple of years in Liverpool , Peter Townsend played like there was no Tommorow and blew me away !!! still pound for pound the best all round guitarist i have ever seen , and i have seen most of them !!!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Geir

a bit late, but still ... a warm welcome from (not so cold this year) Norway.

I can relate to all you said, we're even the same age :D

I really enjoy your music, and I'm glad you found this place and that it has inspired you (like it has for me) to make new music !!!

cheers

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Hello and welcome Andy.  I am very glad you found our little site.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Missed this!

Yes you`ve made a great impact on me and this site. Yes most of us have your same story.
That kids thing screws everything up but in a good way and for a reason!  :D

Glad your here and never leave!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

phantasm777

hey andy! a pleasure collabing with ya, im pretty picky, even the bands i like, i dont like every song by them. but we do both dig the who, so thats far out and shit! ;) here is a "cheers" to making more music in the future, be it cover or original!