Songwriting: Simple versus Complex

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 08, 2011, 09:12:28 AM

Greeny

When it comes to women though, I prefer complex to simple, lol

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on October 10, 2011, 09:00:55 AMWhen it comes to women though, I prefer complex to simple, lol

Sometimes I hedge.

vigwig

I ike complex rytymns too, dn't get me wrong.  Maybe I like comlex that sounds simple like somebody said.  Not being a true musician I don't analyze songs like Farrell said,  I just know what I like.   Try this for simple chords or whatever you  call 'em:
http://youtu.be/l12Csc_lW0Q

Funny thing is I can understad him!  Vic

Rata-tat-tat

If I could figure out how to write that 1 chord song.... I would.... not sure if anyone would listen to it, but I find it interesting to use the same chords in different progressions or change the rhythm a bit... this alone can change the dynamic of the entire song without overcomplicating things.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

T.C. Elliott

There was a one chord challenge at 50/90 this summer. I kinda cheated by implying  V7 or something at the end. The thing I learned was that it was hard and that arranging can be done in any setting and is absolutely necessary to give due attention to it.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Greeny

Hm... one chord songs. Maybe a good songcrafters festival challenge?

Oldrottenhead

i saw an interview with robyn hitchcock where he strives to use as few chords as possible and he gets some good results
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

IanR

Quote from: Greeny on October 12, 2011, 02:02:56 AMHm... one chord songs. Maybe a good songcrafters festival challenge?

I think it would be a good challenge

There would be lots of ways to make that song interesting with one chord.  I might try to do this with the song I'm currently working on.  Give me a couple of weeks.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Greeny on October 12, 2011, 02:02:56 AMHm... one chord songs. Maybe a good songcrafters festival challenge?

I already have one posted up Tim......It's called Don't You Pi$$ On Me, lol. It's a one chord wonder but somehow  manages to take on some  interesting sections. Sounds like a good Fest. idea to me!

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Rata-tat-tat

recorder
Tascam DP-02