is br-1600cd safe to buy right now???

Started by kc2ine, July 04, 2011, 08:35:33 AM

kc2ine

I was initially impressed with br-1600cd specs and look but when I thought about it that
it was released like 2004 or so I started to think it is probably dated already and new replacement model will
come shortly. Because of that I ordered BR-800 which is nice but doesn't look so professional in studio plus doesn't have  so many tracks as br-1600cd.  The other thing is br-1600cd is like 4 times more expensive which I don't understand at all because e.g. 24 tracks tascam recorder costs 650$....
What do you think? 

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: kc2ine on July 04, 2011, 08:35:33 AMI ordered BR-800 which is nice but doesn't look so professional in studio

You're considering a new recorder because you think it will look better?

Quoteplus doesn't have  so many tracks as br-1600cd.

The BR-800 has 64 tracks. How many do you need?

It seems to me that your reasons for considering a new recorder are not very good. The BR-800 is an excellent recorder. I'd suggest taking some more time to learn how to get the most out of it before thinking of a new recorder. Maybe in a couple of years there will be some new recorders available with new features that interest you. That might be sufficient reason to want to upgrade. But looks and number of tracks are not a good reason in my opinion.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kc2ine

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 04, 2011, 09:38:48 AMThe BR-800 has 64 tracks. How many do you need?

well, not really, 64 takes yes but not tracks. I can finally mix-down only 8 track right?
Besides I meant more about simultaneous recording which is only 4 tracks whereas br-1600cd has 8
plus 16 tracks for mix down.

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: kc2ine on July 04, 2011, 09:51:13 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on July 04, 2011, 09:38:48 AMThe BR-800 has 64 tracks. How many do you need?

well, not really, 64 takes yes but not tracks. I can finally mix-down only 8 track right?

You can only mix eight tracks at a time, but that's a limitation of the built-in mixer, not the number of tracks. The term "virtual track" is misleading. There are 64 recording locations. There's nothing "virtual" about them. They're arranged in 8 groups of 8 tracks each with one group connected to each of the 8 mixer channels. For each mixer channel, you can select any one of the 8 tracks available.

QuoteBesides I meant more about simultaneous recording which is only 4 tracks whereas br-1600cd has 8
plus 16 tracks for mix down.

Have you looked at the Zoom R16? It can record 8 tracks simultaneously, has 16-channel mixing, and costs much less than the BR-1600. Unfortunately, it doesn't have midi. The Zoom HD16 can record 8 tracks simultaneously, has 16-channel mixing, and includes Midi Out and Midi In. Unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued.

The BR-1600 and BR-1200 are hard disk recorders. Personally, I prefer recorders like the BR-800 or Zoom R16 which use flash memory for storage instead of a hard disk. Flash memory is silent and easily replaced. Hard drives make a certain amount of noise which can be picked up by microphones if you're not careful (did you notice that the BR-1200 and BR-1600 do not have built-in mics?).

I don't think there are currently any recorders available from any manufacturer which include midi, 8-track simultaneous recording, 16-channel mixing, and flash memory storage. So you'll have to compromise based on which features are most important to you.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kc2ine

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 04, 2011, 10:25:57 AMThe BR-1600 and BR-1200 are hard disk recorders. Personally, I prefer recorders like the BR-800 or Zoom R16 which use flash memory for storage instead of a hard disk. Flash memory is silent and easily replaced. Hard drives make a certain amount of noise which can be picked up by microphones if you're not careful (did you notice that the BR-1200 and BR-1600 do not have built-in mics?).

yeah, I'd prefer flash recording as well but to be honest I don't see a problem with replacing this mechanical hard drive
with solid state drive:

http://www.diy-computer-repair.com/Upgrade-ssd-installation.html

well, unless roland did something stupid with BR-1600cd bios. Otherwise inside is a regular (old) computer right?

p.s.
as I see that my old technology concerns is not that legitimate since in their new recorders like BR-800 they use same or even less features...

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Not sure if any drive will work. I think Roland published a list of compatible replacement drives for the BR-1600, though I can't find it now. The idea that they published such a list suggests that there could be compatibility problems even with a mechanical hard drive. If so, then I'd expect SSDs to have even more compatibility issues. Maybe you should phone Roland tech support and ask them if they've tested any SSDs in the BR-1600.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kc2ine

I see the standard drives they use is ATA-100,
there are SSD ATA-100 so maybe there is a chance.
I found here nice article about changing HD in BR-1180,
should be similar with 1600CD I guess.
http://thestudiofiles.com/?p=241

recorder
Boss BR-800

kc2ine

I guess not too many owner of BR-1600CD here to get some opinion about it.
I understand that for guitarists smaller units are better.

recorder
Boss BR-800

Burtog

Speculating here but I would have thought that now Boss have intoduced the BR800, updated the Micro BR they would probably turn their attentions to updating one of the bigger units in the range?

I also have the BR800, my knowledge of it is limited so far but it can do far more than I am yet capable of, should see me right for a couple of years. I bought it on the advise of people on this site and I'm very happy with it.

I think the amount of faders on a unit can give the wrong impression of a units capability, i.e; original micro br. See the quality of music on here made on the most basic of kit.............very impressive!
recorder
Boss BR-800

kc2ine

Quote from: Burtog on July 05, 2011, 12:36:13 AMSpeculating here but I would have thought that now Boss have intoduced the BR800, updated the Micro BR they would probably turn their attentions to updating one of the bigger units in the range?

I'd think that as well, but on the other hand none of roland new recorders got something new that BR-1600Cd
doesn't have except SD card recording which is not really a big deal.

BTW, anybody knows if BR1600CD can work as a control interface for software DAW like Cubase etc?
Can I still record 8 tracks through boss to Cubase that way?

recorder
Boss BR-800