The satanic mode

Started by jackofall, March 08, 2009, 06:57:29 AM

Kody

QuoteNot that he exists or anything, lol

Correction: He's not a he......I should know-I pay her child-support every month!! :-X

I got into modes a while ago, but unfortunately, I didn't stick with it...There's a few books out there---but the best I found on modes was Youtube videos.  Joe Satriani has some impressive and informative videos on there...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

jackofall

Ha! Ha! You thought you'd got rid of me... I hadn't gone - it was just the devil's interval.

But seriously, it's such an interesting subject. I knew absolutely nothing about modes until I went to this genius guitar teacher who knows everything, every style, classical, rock, jazz blue grass. Wish I learned about it years ago.... 
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Greeny

Quote from: jackofall on March 23, 2009, 09:06:40 AMHa! Ha! You thought you'd got rid of me... I hadn't gone - it was just the devil's interval.

But seriously, it's such an interesting subject. I knew absolutely nothing about modes until I went to this genius guitar teacher who knows everything, every style, classical, rock, jazz blue grass. Wish I learned about it years ago.... 

Yes... but look at what you've done already WITHOUT knowing those modes! Sometimes I think a lack of theory is important... sometimes it's the instinctive, gut-felt stuff that is the most emotive and powerful for the listener. But I also know that learning can take you in unexpected directions. It's finding the right balance I guess...  :)

Geir

Don't know 'bout the devil, thought he wore Prada these days. This is a killer riff that cuts right to the bone.

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Jim2711

I could be wrong, but I believe the "Tri-tone/Devil's note" was resurrected to this moden world after all the hype in the middle ages by the chuch, by none other than Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, the song was Sympyom of the universe, the song which some would claim gave birth to Heavy Metal in the 60's. Ref: Sam Dunn's doco "Metal a head bangers journey"

Just thought I would put that out there, right, wrong or otherwise!!!!

Hail all Metalheads.........Jim2711...... ;D

Kody

And while this is bumped back up, I thought I'd share that we've just covered the Tri-tone interval in my college Ear-Training and Sight-Singing class....As much I love and respect Tony Iommi, I gotta think this interval has been used in many pieces between the Middle Age and Black Sabbath, but you have a reference so, lol I don't know....I do strongly feel, that Sabbath was responsible for bringing it to the guitar and "giving birth" to Metal....The Tri-tone interval is an interval that is played either an augmented 4th or a diminished 5th from it's root...Sounds like crap, pretty much lol...but I like it!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

jackofall

Wasn't it the Black Sabbath song that went "What is this that stands before me? Figure in black that points at me..." etc. I remember listening to this as a teenager. Definite Locrian mode on their first album. 

I also remember thinking that 'me' and 'me' isn't great as a rhyme as it's the same word! Then the same technique was employed in "Generals gather in their masses. Just like witches at black masses..." Now that's not even trying is it! 
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Kody

Yeah, isn't that song called "Black Sabbath"? (by Black Sabbath) I always thought he said "I turn around......and it was Todd", I had a friend named Todd, so it always made me laugh.....and you're talking about "War Pigs"....Awesome song!! Faith No More re-did it in the 90s, i was a huge fan!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Satchwood

Cool riff and mode find!  Nicely exercised! 

You got me thinking now...huh oh...scale theory is fun, but difficult, everytime I dabble in it, I learn something new.

Let's hear some more!  I like it!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy