Started by Farrell Jackson, May 02, 2023, 07:59:05 AM

Farrell Jackson

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chapperz66

That's sad.  I read about Gordon Lightfoot but hadn't picked up on Randy Bachman passing.

Farrell Jackson

Paul, Tim is Randy's Bachman's brother who was also a guitarist in BTO. RIP
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

Very sad news, and a strange coincidence they both died the same day. Sad day for our Canadian friends.

RIP, Gordon Lightfoot and Tim Bachman.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Johnbee

Both Canadians.  How ironic.  RIP to both. :(

Gordon was one of my greatest heroes. I started writing songs mostly because of him and Dan Fogelberg.
He was an amazing man and musician.  I will miss him sorely.

:( John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

T.C. Elliott

I heard about Gordon today and while I admit he was never my favorite, I do have good memories of both my mother and father listening to him (separately, they divorced when I was quite young) as a child. You cannot deny his career, that's for sure.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

des0free

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

In 1994 I did a massive solo road trip across the USA on a motorcycle – Phoenix to Washington, DC via wherever I decided to go. I visited some family in Minnesota, and then spontaneously decided to do a full circumnavigation of Lake Superior – starting and ending in Duluth – before continuing. I don't think a waking hour went by during that circumnavigation when that fucking "Edmond Fitzgerald" song wasn't going through my head.

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on May 02, 2023, 08:30:50 PMI do have good memories of both my mother and father listening to him (separately, they divorced when I was quite young)

Goodness, T.C., that little vignette is devastating. You could write a song about that. A child can barely remember – or can't remember – a time when his parents were together, but grows up hearing the echos of a failed marriage in the common music to which they listen separately. Perhaps in-between the tense or awkward moments when he experiences his divorced parents interacting.

Speaking of dead and Canadians and broken families: I never gave Tim (or Randy) Bachman much thought, but I have a Canadian "relative"* who partially pierced through my teenage prog-punk snobbery and got me to appreciate BTO just a little bit.

*He's the half-brother of my mother's second husband, who she eventually divorced. So this relative is my Canadian ex-step-half-uncle.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

chapperz66

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on May 02, 2023, 01:05:31 PMPaul, Tim is Randy's Bachman's brother who was also a guitarist in BTO. RIP

Ah yes. I obviously misread that.

Blooby

Bob Dylan apparently idolized Gordon. High praise indeed. Love his voice and songs.

Never did the deep dive into BTO, but I practically wore out a best of as a teen.

It's an odd thing when you hit the age where influential folks from your youth are dying on a weekly basis. I remember my mother talking about this very thing when I was a young lad.

Blooby