Main Menu

Recent posts

Original Songs / Re: Leap Of Faith by BerryPatc...
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 11:33:19 AM
The guy who plays quality instruments and writes good songs. If that was all i could just about handle it. But to make them sound so good is wrong.

Think of this guy for a minute? If we weren't living at this day and age this guy would be a star. Not the twinkly kind of thing on the sky, but the kind that gets "trousers" thrown at him.

If that wasn't all. Think about the amount of trousers Mr. Bluesberry would have then. So is it at all ok to accept this travesty? I don't think Berrypatch is the one to blame because he's taking the leap of faith here. Doing the thing. It's the world that's gone all wrong not recognizing the talent at hand.

There's so much amazing stuff happening in this song that i don't even want to comment the specifics. Rest assured that the song is hugely appreciated. Great song!
Original Songs / Re: White Girl In White
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 11:29:18 AM
The song begins with acoustic guitar playing that would make Gordon Giltrap reach for his notes. The way the mood is built with layered instrumentation and carefully crafted melodies makes for a great listen.

I always approach Rays songs with a certain uncertainty because i've already run out of superlatives and i don't feel it would be appropriate to talk about Crocodile Dundee in this context.

5/5.
Original Songs / Re: Wake up while you can
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 11:25:23 AM
There's no waking up anymore. I've been woken up by my dogs every night after sleeping for just a few hours. That's dogs life!

I was going on a tangent and then something caught my ear. This song is really good. It's a bit rough in the edges, but damn if that isn't classic rock with an ageless bent then nothing is. Your vocals are honest and down to the point. Kinda making me envious. The rhythm guitar is right on the money.

I didn't even notice the organ until Mr. Farrell nicely pointed it out in his commentary. So you DID in fact have musical help. The same applies to the rest of the backing track. The way you've arranged the song makes it play at a nice clip. There's no dead air hanging around this song. It hits the spot.

Karl, you did great!
Original Songs / Re: Two Chord Blues (Hilary)
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 11:21:48 AM
Funnily you were waiting for the two chord fest. I was waiting for the one chord fest!

No kidding. I tried to do something with two chords, but as soon as i got something going i wasn't sure how many i had used. And how strict are the rules anyhow? If you play those two chords is your time already up? If you're playing them again... That's double the amount :)

This was fun and sweet. Short and clever. Hopefully we'll be hearing more songs from you soon. You could pair that poetry with songs and use the paintings as album covers. Soon you'd have a three chord blues going.
Gear Lust / Re: Tonex one
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 11:17:07 AM
Quote from: AndyR on May 05, 2024, 12:50:30 PMI came online to see whether you'd posted about the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier X yet

I didn't and i wont! :D There's no looking back. I loved that Simplifier although it doesn't really look that simple. Especially now in its latest incarnation.

The difference with that and the stuff i had previously used was huge. Then i got the UAD pedal and as i didn't feel that "digital disconnect" with that i was set... For a while. Now i have that Lion too and it's lovely.

Some better players feel/hear the difference between analog/digital, but for me those are almost disgustingly good. I feel almost shameful because of the way that Uafx Lion feels like a real Marshall :)

Maybe in 10 years these will sound like Pods sound like today. Still i kinda doubt it. When those Pods came they were something totally new and groundbreaking. There was nothing to compare and being that much closer to proper recording was a heaven sent. Now everything is more nitpicky and people know (or think that they know) a lot more about high end amps.

Playing through Pod feels like the sound is going in and then not really coming out. The same with J-station. A thing i'd still like to love yet it doesn't really hold up. Only if one was harking back to 90s and cheesy guitar sounds. There's a recording of Yngwie Malmsteen playing through J-station and even with his skills it sounds like a box of turds. That's that for the "sound is in the hands". It's true to certain extent yet thee's more to it.

Before i jump down from the soapbox i want to dedicate this moment to mention that for sound advice, or sounds advice people should look up to guys like AndyR and Blooby. They're putting the work into getting sounds people can enjoy!
Gear Lust / Re: Tonex one
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 11:09:02 AM
Hi D,

I'm not necessarily an authority on good sounds. I do claim that i occasionally find good sounds which i usually tend to spoil at the mixing stage. At that point i'm wearing yet another hat and the name of the game is "what fits the song". So that glorious fuzz driven guitar might turn into something tinny that's closer to a kazoo.

If you're happy with the sounds you're getting then there's no need to look elsewhere. That Zoom thing is probably good for what it is, but i doubt it compares favourable to Tonex / Neural Amp sim.

I did actually enjoy playing through Zoom 505 which is totally long in the tooth. But at that time there wasn't much to compare and it didn't really try (or maybe it did) to sound like 1:1 real amp. It was only after when the whole amp sim thing exploded things went kinda like 8mm, vhs, dvd, bluray. And now we're at the 4k-8k HIDEF stage where things are totally different.

But unlike comparing a bad vhs to a good dvd. The jump going forward isn't necessarily always that noticeable. Sometimes it's small details that some players don't even notice, or care for. Or it might be how it feels, take pedals etc.

For those who have new enough computers and use DAW i'd recommend hopping on that Neural Amp train. Tonex doesn't beat it. Tonex has more options and there's also other similar plugins like Two Notes Genome (which is great), but as far as amp sounds and stuff goes the Neural amp is great.

I have Genome and i'm only using it for the effects. It's compatible with Neural Amp (and Tonex) captures so i can use those without the Neural amp (or Tonex) software / gear.

Quote from: des0free on May 06, 2024, 03:33:09 PM(In any case, it could be that my inferior playing is the limitation, not my equipment...)

As long as it feels good. The playing is always the problem, but if the gear feels good... playing bad can feel good too :)
Gear Lust / Re: Some new IK Multimedia har...
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 10:56:59 AM
Blah, that looks like the thing some adult would buy. Or someone who was after some good sounds :)

Be careful with that setup. If Tonex wasn't enough and you needed something for the frontend... Next they might be selling something for the backend too!

Original Songs / Re: Why Don't it Rain on You?
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 10:54:15 AM
Another uplifting rocker from the good 'ol Ron!

Why don't it rain on you? Why don't you get all the cold we're having here! Take that. Was also a band. Although i doubt Ron listened to them that much.

So what cooking? Lots of things. That trademark Ron voice. Banging drums. Jangling overdriven guitars. Spiky guitar leads. Coming from out of nowhere and hitting you in the face when you least expect. On a first listen the lyrics become part of the groove. It's such a toetapper that one needs to pause it and reach for thesaurus to get the lyrics in.

Some of the snare drum fills were a tad heavy handed and kinda lost the plot. The same could be said of the sampled (?) drum beats later on the song where it feels like it goes all wonky. Don't get me wrong it's still a good one, but there's something happening, or maybe the coffee i drank was harder than i thought?

Stranger things have happened. Up to season 2. The third one is coming this year. Hooray and hootenannies for you!

Original Songs / Re: Screwed - Jazzshed origina...
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 10:50:08 AM
Jack and Jill went up to a hill? That's such a lazy line that it becomes a classic!

Is there no limit to this mans talent? The Tom Waits fest turned out to Reggie fest yet ODH is putting out such a smoky song that it becomes a healt hazard for all of those who hear it.

That piano. That bassline. You were supposed to be an indie guy? Punk guy? This ain't punk. This is quality songwriting with strong performances to boot. With two chords? That's plain wrong. I'm sure i heard at least ten. None of which i'm familiar.

Thank you and good night!
Original Songs / Re: "Damn Beatitude" original ...
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 10:46:55 AM
I'm not saying the singer lisps or anything. It's just my funky hearing. Or the way i process the sounds. Now i heard another live song of yours with lyrics YOUR SALIVA!

Damn, it almost looks like there's a song trying to get out of me. I must hold back.