Hurts So Good

Started by Farrell Jackson, May 06, 2024, 08:49:45 AM

Farrell Jackson

LANDR-Hurts So Good Aud-Balanced-Medium_eq 256
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've wanted to cover this John Mellencamp song for a long time so I put my head down and did it.

2 tracks rhythm guitar - G&L Strat and Ernie Ball OLP. Fender Pro Junior amp.
1 track Bass - Fender Squire Modified Jazz bass direct.
3 tracks vocals - 1 lead and two harmonies TLM 103 Neumann Mic.
Zoom drums.
Recorded on my 18 year old Fostex VF160, Eq'd with Harbal and Mastered by LANDR.

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

the physics teacher

I did not know the song and it sounds so good that I'm not even interessted to look up the original, welldone!!!
I do have an elektic bass and guitar, i do have an acoustic guitar. I even have a keyboard and a Roland drum set What I seem to miss is skills. So to cure my at least 40y frustration I dicovered my instrument being my voice. So I finaly had the nerve to take singing lessons and make my voice heared thanks to Songcrafters.

cuthbert

Nice work on this, Farrell - everything sounds crisp and clear in the mix. Special shout-out on your vocals - great clarity using the Neumann!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Blooby

Love the entire tune but special attention to this killer vocal. I'm seriously jealous.

That was some nostalgic fun.

Blooby

StephenM

Sounds like JCM right here.
Great job on this Farrell!
The guitar blisters.
Vocals even better.
I am a big fan of Mellencamp... especially some of his more obscure tracks like "Whenever We Wanted" and all that lp

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

impressive! what a sound; what a voice I don't know this song and I'm really keen to hear the original.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Ray Brookes

I remember playing this song in a rock band back in the '90's but it didn't sound this good! Great cover, Farrell and what a fantastic vocal performance. Those guitars sound so good and cool production.
Ray Brookes

Mike_S

Yes, this is just one of those classic old rockers. This one never get tired for me. You nailed the guitars and the sound and yes top vocal. Would like to hear this live!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

des0free

So good I had to listen three times in a row. I love this song and JCM. I've been wanting to do a cover by him, but feeling that the vocals would be hard to pull off, and some tricky guitar licks. Here you've nailed both. I can picture you up on stage at a county fair belting this out to appreciative fans. That old-ish recorder that can spit out a CD looks cool. I would ask you to send me a CD, but I have to find a CD player first, actually I think my son's old X-box can play both DVDs and CDs  :) . It shows that the quality of the result is more in the performer than in having all the latest equipment, although I guess LANDR is AI, which is new fangled. Really nice job on the performance and recording of a really awesome song. Any chance you could send me the stems to test out my new mixing software? :)
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

BerryPatch

Man, a wicked cover! Your vocals on here really stand out, it's perfect for Mellencamp. Great sound here too, those guitars have a real nice snarl to them.