Fender Signature guitars?

Started by white_feather, November 12, 2008, 03:43:26 PM

I have been looking for another Strat to add to my collection. I am a fan of Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I have had both the Vaughan and Clapton Strats and thought about trying the Knopfler one next until I noticed there isn't much difference between that and the Vaughan. It seems like all they do is put a difference signature on a guitar and sell it for big money. For the money I think I will get a Custom Shop one or something from Duesenberg guitars. Anyone else think like this?

Greeny

We did a thread like this recently on the David Gilmour signature strat...

http://microrecorders.org/community/general-discussion-b8/dave-gilmour-signature-strat/0/

It's a good point. Personally, I think that signature guitars are way too much money, and you'd be much better off buying the best model you can get (maybe even a custom shop model for the same price) from Fender's standard range. The only exception to that would be if you were such a fan of the signature artist that you felt you just HAD to have that guitar. I feel a bit like that about Dave Gilmour, but at the end of the day it's just a Strat!

I guess sometimes people want to get the same tone as their heroes - i.e. Peter Green's out of phase pick-ups, or Brian May's distinct sound. I guess you might have to buy a replica of their guitar to get that sound, but even then, there's a sh*t-load of other effects going on....

Anyway - doesn't matter what guitar you have - just that you make some good music on it!!!!  :)