"Cleanup Man" by Ted (featuring Tony W)

Started by Ted, October 24, 2010, 04:42:08 PM

Ted

Quote from: Ferryman on October 25, 2010, 02:01:06 AMLovely fretless-ish sound. The production is fabulous, love the vox and the Cuisinart on Tony's guitar, which fits really well, you did a great job. It's a great song as well, really excellent feel and hooky little vox, and nice and different. You're in Henwrench territory here, it sounds a bit like Wilco meets the Kinks.

BTW, do check out Wilco, I took Dave's advice and really enjoyed them.

Good to see you back posting such stellar music, although it's a slight pity there are no screaming nine year old girls.

The bass is my Michael Kelly 5-string, fretless, acoustic plugged straight into the MBR with the Bass Cln effect.

The production was pretty simple.  I recorded the acoustic guitar part two times in stereo. The playing is almost identical on each take. Take one was through the pickup (and preamp) into a stereo chorus stomp box. Those two tracks are panned left and center.  Take two was using the GTR+MIC setting, with the mic also on the guitar. They are blended together on the right, with the farty pezio sound more center, and the mic more on the right. I have a couple of other acoustic songs where I think I'll use this technique.

As for "Henwrench territory"... That's intimidating. I don't want to be held to that standard. And by "that standard" I mean "down by men in white coats."

My screaming 9-year-old is now a screaming 11-year-old. I'm not sure we've heard the last of her here.

Quote from: henwrench on October 25, 2010, 03:46:29 PMListened again. I really don't like you.

What's scary is that that's a manner in which I might also express appreciation.

As for the waiting list for my album: Be sure to will your place in the queue to your heirs.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Today was special day: I was on  "On This Day" as well as "Latest Songs." That might not happen again, or it may happen as rarely as when oldrottenhead is on neither.

Since nobody has said it, I will: I think Tony sounds like David Gilmour on this. The effect I used on the guitar was Pan+Dly, which combined with Tony's tone, and his style, I was reminded of the solo on Money. I get chills after the crescendo in the middle of the solo.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Gary F

Killer tune!!! Love the vox Ted!!!
Tony your guitar work is icing on the cake!!!
Great collab!!!
Gary

lectric

Dance as if no one were watching.
Sing as if no one were listening.
And live every day as if it were your last.
- Irish proverb

Ted

Quote from: lectric on October 26, 2010, 09:31:59 AM77 GL 1000

Nice! I had a '78. Gutsy and smooth. Didn't like unleaded gas much.

I high-sided it on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1994, and had to sell it cheap to a rabbi in Silver Spring, MD.  I needed the money. Haven't owned a motorcycle since--but I think about it a lot.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

AndyR

This is fantastic.

Unusually, I read the lyrics first before I pressed play. I don't often get grabbed by lyrics on their own - but these I did. Then I restrained myself from reading any comments while I listened...

It's just... just... really good! :D

Glad you could hear that swell coming out of the chorus - it's perfect, just what it wanted. I love the gap there and how "I'm the clean up man" takes us back again.

Interesting how you don't relate to the lyrics - I don't relate to the lyrics of the last one I did either. But I love singing them. It almost feels like I'm freer because they're not me or the usual way I do it - hard to explain, but I have a feeling you know what I mean :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Gritter

I love this!

Awesome song and the playing and production is absolutely sweet! And the vox rule! Tasty, tasty, tasty Ted and Tony!

QuoteI high-sided it on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1994, and had to sell it cheap to a rabbi in Silver Spring, MD.  I needed the money. Haven't owned a motorcycle since--but I think about it a lot.

...I think you got the start of a great song there, " Silver Spring Rabbi Rides Again" !

Ted

Quote from: AndyR on October 26, 2010, 11:51:34 AMInteresting how you don't relate to the lyrics - I don't relate to the lyrics of the last one I did either. But I love singing them. It almost feels like I'm freer because they're not me or the usual way I do it - hard to explain, but I have a feeling you know what I mean :)

The end of the first verse originally went:

I take my turn on my terms
   'Cause I'm a prick.

I thought about it and decided that this guy doesn't realize he's a prick, but I do.  So I tried to see the world from an prick's point of view.  This was inspired by a guy I barely know, so it's not really about him. It's more about my visceral reaction to him the two or three times I've been around him--and my trying to take a more empathetic view. But he really did go on and on about his HOA once, to a group of people for whom it could not have been less relevant. Taking out "prick" committed me to temporarily share his blind spot.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony W

My favorite line is

I could make this long story short but..... you've got all day.

That describes nearly Every prick I know.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jim1970

Some Ted with a Splash of Tony!!
What a Great cocktale and what a Cool tune.
Love the Tip Toeing GROOOOVE!!!

Jim from Jersey
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR