Festival idea?

Started by Vanncad, October 08, 2010, 07:59:05 AM

Vanncad

Hey 64 - Thanks for all your work in managing these festivals. I enjoy them immensly, it's one of the things that really attracted me to this site (Neilfest was just finishing when I joined). It's a great way to collab and meet new members on the site.

Maybe next "fest" we could take the top 2 or 3 voted on items.
We seemed to successfully run 2 "fests" simultaneously over the last couple months (Beatles,Pirate).

This way we could cut down the list a little faster, and it would encourage more participation.

Just a thought.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Facemask93

I think this is a good idea Van , two festivals would also keep more people involved , take the pirate fest  for instance , quite honestly it did'nt appeal to me , i then have to wait a whole month to participate again

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

dasilvasings

I don't agree. The funniest thing on festivals, is that you don't know what is going to happen. We are all in the same boat. I didn't want a Beatlesfest or the PiratesFest, but once it's in, you must use your imagination to let it fit your own style and interests. Sometimes you get surprised, for instance, I had a great fun with Zappa and Pirates and enjoyed it immensely!

What I don't agree (completely) is the band-themed fests. Beatles (and even Dylon) can be an exception since they are so... big, but a U2 fest or a Dio fest sounds very restrictive (in my limited imagination  :))...

Miguel
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

That's exactly my point dasilvasings ...

Someone who likes DIO probably wouldn't participate in a Dylan fest (and vice versa). But if you ran them concurrently, you might get two contributions instead of one.
(Not to mention a few of the people on here who would post in both).

I agree with you - I like the surprise factor of the fest too. I am just trying to think of ways to get more people involved.

Thanks for the post man!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Gritter

I would like to see some broader catagories, not just artist or genre. I suggested some of these before but they never made the board...so I shall squeek my wheel:

Songs about cities (original or cover)
Songs about "doing it" (original or cover)
Songs about travelling/road songs (original or cover)
Songs about death (original or cover)
Songs about famous people (original or cover)
etc...

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gritter on October 08, 2010, 11:35:44 AMSongs about cities (original or cover)
etc...
Yes, I agree with these 5.  Lets put these in the list.  There is much more in this idea, very good stuff.

Songs about work
Songs about screwing up
Songs about doing absolutely nothing (slacker songs)
Songs about food, eating, drinking, etc
Songs based from a movie or book

Another thought I had.  I like doing covers, I can't do them exactly like the original, I need to make them my own, which is fine by me.  But for my money, I would much rather spend my time making original songs.  Any festival that encourages us to do original songs is a very good thing, it may push a few folks to get off an original that otherwise wouldn't in that month.  I think that is why I am enjoying Piratefest so much, not because I like Pirate songs so much, but because it got me inspired enough to do 3 original songs, thats what I like, and I have one more original Piratefest song in the works before it is all over.  That is what I like in a festival.  Anything to encourage folks to do originals should be one of the prime missions around here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Songs about cities.... I could kill a few birds with one stone. A songcrafters tribute and a song about Chicago. Because in Chicago you can do what you please.

**EDIT**

I think running multiple fests is a great idea, if 64 is not opposed to the workload that he incurs as a result. He manually builds the players, edits posts, etc. That's a lot to ask of one person.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gnasty

Quote from: Bluesberry on October 08, 2010, 02:06:20 PM
Quote from: Gritter on October 08, 2010, 11:35:44 AMSongs about cities (original or cover)
etc...
Yes, I agree with these 5.  Lets put these in the list.  There is much more in this idea, very good stuff.

Songs about work
Songs about screwing up
Songs about doing absolutely nothing (slacker songs)
Songs about food, eating, drinking, etc

And songs about Gringo in every context possible!!

Here are  my song ideas. Don't steal them!..make up your own! ;D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Gritter

How about;

Songs by couples (married or otherwise)

Captain and Tennille:

Johnny and June:

Timbuk 3:

The White Stripes:

The McCartneys:

Sonny and Cher:

Elton and Bernie

John and Yoko:

...and of course,

Babs and Gritts:

64Guitars

I'm in a bit of a rush because I have to go out now, so I'll be brief:

I like the idea of two concurrent festivals. In fact, I proposed that very idea myself last April, but a few people seemed to be against it so didn't pursue it.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7112.msg91995#msg91995

Read through that topic for the pros and cons. Then we can discuss it further here.

Part of the problem back then was that the festivals only lasted a month. Now that they run for 6 weeks, maybe people's views on the matter will be different.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website