Tape Simulator

Started by henwrench, September 09, 2010, 07:46:29 AM

henwrench

Here's one for ya...
    So I've finished another mix that i'm as happy as can be possible. I've used Audacity to balance the multi tracks. Sounds good. But what I'm really looking for is something that is hard to replicate in the digital world.....tape compression, tape warmth. Does anyone know of anything out there that will allow me to feed in my two track stereo master, let me manipulate the signal, giving me a re-processed master, complete with 'tape' noise/warmth/compression. I assume there is probably some high-priced 'plug-in' available, but I have a budget of, lets see now..... around about £0.00. Something like the Switch Sound File Converter, a free great product that works!! I'm off hunting now, I'll have a look around, but maybe somebody out there knows of what I seek....

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Yo, henwrench: take a lookie at the Ferox VST plugin - it's free (but I don't know if it works with Audacity).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

Can't seem to get either of the two above to work  ???  BB's suggestion, once downloaded, is just a bunch of manuals. Cuth's suggestion seemed to be a bunch of files that windows didn't recognise. I might check out e-bay for the 'reel' thing... ;D ;D

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Quote from: henwrench on September 09, 2010, 08:46:30 AMCuth's suggestion seemed to be a bunch of files that windows didn't recognise. I might check out e-bay for the 'reel' thing...

It's a VST effect, so it needs a host to actually run from - Audacity or any other Windows audio editor that supports VST effects should work.

The file you want from the bundle is jb_ferox.dll - put that in your Audacity Plug-ins folder (make sure you have the latest beta version of Audacity - 1.3.12, I believe), and then go to the Audacity preferences > Effects, and check the 'Re-scan VST effects...' checkbox and relaunch Audacity.

If it all works, jb ferox should appear in your list of effects (from the Effects menu).

Of course, nothing wrong with a working reel-to-reel, if you can find one!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

Tried all that Cuth, to no avail. Is the Plug ins folder a seperate 'thing'? Can't see that anywhere, so did all the other stuff, but it ain't happening  ??? ??? ???

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

I'm writing this from a Mac today, but jb_ferox.dll should be placed in Program Files > Audacity > Plug-ins folder (or some place like that - wherever Audacity puts their plug-ins folder on Windows).

Also, make sure you have the beta 1.3.12 version of Audacity - the release version 1.2.6 doesn't support VST plugins.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

Got it!!!   You star, Cuth..... can't play now though 'cos I gotta go....
     Nice one, dude!!

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Cool, Cuth. I found the bundle, stripped out the demos and saw there was a decent looking reverb plugin in there too. I'm excited to try that.

I also remembered to check the box in preferences that scans for new VST's on restart. So thanks again for that.

BTW, anybody trying a bunch of VST effects should put them in separate folders under the "Plug-ins" folder in the event they want to easily get rid of them later. This proves useful if you are trying a bundle first, and then decide you don't like.

Audacity will still find the plugins, but unfortunately it won't put them under a submenu in effects based on the folder you created., which sucks.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

henwrench

Been having a mess around with the Tape Simulator..... it is seriously good. There are a list of pre-sets, including a compact cassette. Hiss!! Beautiful hiss.....

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR