Tip on recording vocals

Started by Geir, February 09, 2010, 12:20:47 AM

Geir

I just realized that I use a little trick when I record vocals, that I can't remember anyone has mentioned yet. I discovered it by chance, but have found it quite useful.

It's simple, just dial in a long reverb (I use 4.8 seconds) turn up the reverb to 50% or so.  On the MicroBR I have, the reverb don't get recorded, so reverb can be added to taste afterward anyway. The reverb helps me to better hear myself and to keep the pitch on long notes.

Of coarse, finding the right level for the music vs your voice is more important, but that's a given eh?

Other tips or tricks? 
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

henwrench

I hold my MBR like a 'phone with my left hand, I place the mic end of the MBR into one of my daughter's sock's to act as a pop sheild and with my right hand I very lightly touch my throat to feel the vibrations in my larynx. I find this a good way to pitch my 'singing'. It works for me anyway!!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i like a drink but you know that already.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

dwardzala

Quote from: Geir on February 09, 2010, 12:20:47 AMI just realized that I use a little trick when I record vocals, that I can't remember anyone has mentioned yet. I discovered it by chance, but have found it quite useful.

It's simple, just dial in a long reverb (I use 4.8 seconds) turn up the reverb to 50% or so.  On the MicroBR I have, the reverb don't get recorded, so reverb can be added to taste afterward anyway. The reverb helps me to better hear myself and to keep the pitch on long notes.

Of coarse, finding the right level for the music vs your voice is more important, but that's a given eh?

Other tips or tricks? 

Geir, this is a really good tip.  I do something similar with a patch on the BR-600.  Its added to the signal in the headphones but the recording is dry (without effects).  The reason this is a good idea is that you sound better with the effects when you are singing and that will give you more confidence and coax a stronger vocal performance.  Since you have recorded dry you can add/remove effects to the track afterward.

I also prefer to not physically interact with the mic or the mic stand when singing.  I think there is a tendency to use poor mic technique when you are holding the mic or stand and this can lead to overs (clipping) very easily.  It can also lead to drops outs too.  Good technique usually involves getting closer to the mic to sing softer and getting farther away to sing louder (seems counter intuitive but it works.)  Using a pop shield as a physical barrier can also help mic technique.

Vocals are as much in your head as they are in the rest of your body.  Oh and as ORH said, drinking helps too (relieving stress and removing inhibitions).
Dave

BR-600

cuthbert

These are some great tips - thanks for sharing!

Here's a few more - the MBR condom reduces handling noises when you hold the MBR while singing into the mic. One caveat is it may obscure the 1/8"/3.5 mm jack on the MBR - don't force the plug into it! You can either take the condom off, or buy an adapter for an iPhone, etc., which I find much more convenient.

Another thing I try to always do is sing from behind the microphone, about -30 degrees off axis...helps to reduce the plosives.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

not a swallower then?

sorry i couldnnt resist lowering the tone
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

henwrench

Quote from: Gritter on February 10, 2010, 11:57:39 AMI spit all over my Micro BR when I sing.

Sandy, stick the thing in a sock. Seriously, it works a treat and acts as a pop shield with no loss of high frequencies. Yea, do it...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: henwrench on February 10, 2010, 12:23:22 PM
Quote from: Gritter on February 10, 2010, 11:57:39 AMI spit all over my Micro BR when I sing.

Sandy, stick the thing in a sock. Seriously, it works a treat and acts as a pop shield with no loss of high frequencies. Yea, do it...

henwrench

I did try that, Hennster - It works good. Thanks.

And Geir, I've had you on countless recordings with no reverb - You're just a natural!!  8)

Something I've always done to prevent pitch wavering is to keep the chin well away from the chest. Also, drop the tongue away from the back of your throat unless you want to use the constriction for theatrics. Deep breaths, consistent singing.

And as far as recording, unless you are some sort of uber guru professional, keep the level down, never exceeding 75-80%. You will mess up your vocal track, guaranteed. Hot vocals sound like shit.

That was fun...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover