Why you never need to optimize

Started by Ted, July 24, 2009, 04:25:59 PM

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 31, 2009, 12:47:26 AM
QuoteYou could instead free up space by backing up the song, and erasing any v-tracks you won't be needing for your bounce or master.  You can only master or bounce up to four v-tracks a once--which means you can erase up to 28 v-tracks in this scenario.

I don't have time to check right now but I suspect that erasing v-tracks won't free up any memory card space. If it did, you wouldn't be able to undo the erase. That's why the song optimize function exists. The BRs support "non-destructive editing" which means that nothing ever gets erased or over-written.

Okay, but after you erased all of v-tracks you don't need any more, you could free up space by... optimizing.  D'oh!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

Quote from: Ted on August 13, 2009, 12:20:44 PMOkay, but after you erased all of v-tracks you don't need any more, you could free up space by... optimizing.  D'oh!

Well, I almost had the urge to optimize the other day because my card was getting full (Less than 45mb left - Scaaaary!!), but I got nervous - dumped off four songs and kept going instead... I am fully jinxed!

Quote from: Greeny on July 31, 2009, 06:10:34 AMOn the (very) few occasions when the 'Drive Busy' message has reared it's ugly head, I've re-recorded to last offending track, or pressed 'undo', or re-corded a little snippet somewhere and it seems to fix the problem. It's a bit hit and miss, but I haven't had to export everything or lose anything for a very long time....

This will get a laugh:

Because my brain overflows with astuteness and wisdom, when I get the "Drive Busy" error (Which I get a lot), I just hit the stop button and undo. The error comes again and I undo. The error comes again and I undo. The error comes again and I undo. I like shoveling shit uphill  :D  Then I initialize the card...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ted

Quote from: launched on August 13, 2009, 02:41:25 PM
Quote from: Greeny on July 31, 2009, 06:10:34 AMOn the (very) few occasions when the 'Drive Busy' message has reared it's ugly head, I've re-recorded to last offending track, or pressed 'undo', or re-corded a little snippet somewhere and it seems to fix the problem. It's a bit hit and miss, but I haven't had to export everything or lose anything for a very long time....

This will get a laugh:

Because my brain overflows with astuteness and wisdom, when I get the "Drive Busy" error (Which I get a lot), I just hit the stop button and undo. The error comes again and I undo. The error comes again and I undo. The error comes again and I undo. I like shoveling shit uphill  :D  Then I initialize the card...

I will have to remember Greeny's method, which seems a little superstitious to me, but in those situations I'll try anything.

Your method seems a bit like Einstein's definition of insanity.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

Alright - I have a soft spot for the "If at first you don't succeed" thing!! :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Greeny

Quote from: launched on August 13, 2009, 06:48:44 PMAlright - I have a soft spot for the "If at first you don't succeed" thing!! :D

It's more like:

"I will NOT be defeated... and definitely not by a f*cking inanimate piece of plastic"

Sheer willpower, lol.

Of course, all of this is usually accompanied by me cursing the Micro as if it could listen and understand the severity of my threats, lol

launched

Quote from: Greeny on August 14, 2009, 03:19:32 AM
Quote from: launched on August 13, 2009, 06:48:44 PMAlright - I have a soft spot for the "If at first you don't succeed" thing!! :D

It's more like:

"I will NOT be defeated... and definitely not by a f*cking inanimate piece of plastic"

Sheer willpower, lol.

Of course, all of this is usually accompanied by me cursing the Micro as if it could listen and understand the severity of my threats, lol

I'm beside myself right now!! ;D

It can hear you, just like a plant!! Speak soft tones into the onboard mic and your SD card will be fine... "Little Micro, I looooove you!!" :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

AndyR

:D Nah, if he's like me, he won't speak tenderly or encouragingly to an inanimate object... I mean, it's just a "thing", isn't it?...

But when there's an issue, there'll be plenty of "you f**ing useless piece of sh*t..."

That's one of my favourites - it can be applied to computers, cookers, MBRs, crackly guitar leads, anything!

Of course, the MBR is itself quite intelligent... when addressed in this fashion, it might seem inanimate but, like all computers, it's thinking away quietly...

"I only did what you asked me to do, you utter plonker... you just wait, the next button you press better be the right one, cos there'll be no going back... I'm gonna do just exactly what it says in the guide, and then we'll see what you make of that, thank you very much, you sausage fingered lump of... let's just hope you've done a backup that I can read this time, haha...."

::)

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ted

Quote from: AndyR on August 14, 2009, 10:11:57 AM"I only did what you asked me to do, you utter plonker... you just wait, the next button you press better be the right one, cos there'll be no going back... I'm gonna do just exactly what it says in the guide, and then we'll see what you make of that, thank you very much, you sausage fingered lump of... let's just hope you've done a backup that I can read this time, haha...."

I always wondered what the Micro BR would display if it weren't limited to 14 characters.  Now I know.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

i always optomize a song before the final master, to stop that busy driver message coming up.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann