Music related Dreams

Started by Mike_S, April 05, 2024, 01:44:09 PM

Mike_S

Been wondering, does anybody else ever have any music / rock star related dreams?

I have been keeping a log book of any of my dreams that I can remember for a few years now. I am not really sure why I am doing this. I have the thought of maybe visiting it for song lyrics some day but I never seem to do it.

But anyway, through these few years I have had a few dreams that involved music or music heroes of mine. So here is a brief outline of those:

Dec 2020
Was doing some crazy long ziplines with Rory Gallagher. These (of course) were no ordinary ziplines. They stretched along the coastline and went out over large stretches of sea. One of his songs was playing in the background.

Aug 2021
Was practicing archery with Gary Moore

Sept 2021
Was at a Rush concert (never actually seen them). Geddy invited us to come closer so I managed to sit right in front of Geddy. They played "Middletown Dreams" which in my dream sounded beyond amazing.

Nov 2021
Was in a pub band with Phil Lynott and an old friend. We had an audition but they showed up late so I was really upset with Phil!

March 2022
Was with my Dad and we met up with Geddy and Alex from Rush in a hotel bar and had a good chat.

Aug 2023
Was at a Gary Moore concert. I had my Strat with me and plugged it in somehow... but no sound came out. Gary fist bumped me which was cool! :)

Sept 2023
Mark Knopfler was playing a gig in a shopping centre somewhere and he took the piss out of my brother from the stage for some reason

Jan 2024
I was singing for Guns and Roses in a small bar. At some point someone pulled a couple of slide doors back to reveal a massive arena audience. I got stuck as I could not remember the words for one song!!

March 2024
I was representing Ireland in the Eurovision song contest. But when it came to my turn I froze and refused to go on :)

-------------

That's it up til now. I did have one other where I had a few pints with Gary Moore in Belfast but I don't have that logged in the book.

Anyway there you go!!!

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

I have had songs come to me in dreams. Once I had a novel come to me in a dream but it was gone five minutes after I woke up.
A couple of times I've jumped out of bed and recorded myself humming tune in my head, or written down lyrics or got out my guitar to record the thing in my head before i forget it. However occasionally song from dream is beyond my abilities to play. I need some sort of usb interface with my brain mibbes.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ray Brookes

I never seem to have many music related dreams. Occasionally I dream I'm at a gig but never with anybody famous or well-known.
Ray Brookes

Farrell Jackson

That is cool that you keep a log of specific dreams, Mike. I once thought of writing lyrics about my dreams but I usually forget them by morning. On two occasions, the dreams were close to waking up, I wrote the basic beginnings of songs that I dreamed up. On both occasions I got up immediately and jotted down the song titles and played/made note of the main chords. Trippin' Down a Different Road and Million Mile Room are the two but that was years ago and nothing since.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ted

I had a Songcrafters dream once:

A few of us were together. Someone had found a cool software amp model, but the code was printed on paper. Hook was trying to scan it with OCR so that the code could be compiled. All of the computer equipment looked like it was from the 1990s. We were looking for floppy disks so we could share the plug-in if Hook succeeded.

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on April 06, 2024, 08:14:39 AMOn two occasions, the dreams were close to waking up, I wrote the basic beginnings of songs that I dreamed up.

Wow! This has happened to me so many times, I figured it was more common. My problem is that I just record them and rarely develop them into full songs. I have many recording sketches of me groggily humming a melody, sometimes I grab a guitar or ukulele.

My melodic ideas are always better when they originate in dreams.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Quote from: Mike_S on April 05, 2024, 01:44:09 PMI was representing Ireland in the Eurovision song contest.

Ha! :D Such a cool list of dreams and you're ending it with a banger :D

Do you ever have lucid dreams? I have those occasionally. The most recent one was where i was listening to Rick Rubin and John Frusciante talk about music. I went to sleep listening to a such a Podcast, but in the dream i was there and the place was different. I dropped in and out of the dream and managed to "get back" at least once.

Quote from: Ted on April 08, 2024, 07:20:06 AMSomeone had found a cool software amp model, but the code was printed on paper.

Ted. Even your dreams are on the "next level" :D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

Other than the "you didn't go on" I believe all these dreams are real... I could see you doing every single one of them... but the forgetting words happens to pro's too... I have seen it when you watch someone many times... many times they have lyrics on monitors they can see...

btw... Middletown Dreams is a great Rush song... I love that too.

singing with Phil Lynott... in a band with you on guitar... I hear that... but sometimes I swear you sound very much like him...

awesome that you can remember and write these thoughts down... I fully could see  you using these ideas in songs... at some point...

you can't force creation...

I don't remember having musical dreams much except I have heard Kansas songs in my dreams sometimes. 
I don't remember much of dreams but I wake up with feelings of relief, euphoria etc...I used to have dreams I could fly... when people would jam me I would just start rising up... up and up... and it took me time (I had many of these dreams) to develop the ability to fly faster and with more navigation control... lol

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Mike_S

Quote from: StephenM on April 17, 2024, 11:53:08 AMI don't remember having musical dreams much... I don't remember much of dreams...

Funny thing is Steve I looked back properly at this dream diary when I started the thread and it was weird. It was like I was reading things that someone else had written. Some were familiar but the majority I had completely forgotten.

I think that's an interesting thing about dreams. They most often linger a short while and then get erased from memory or buried somewhere very deep we can't find them.

Really interesting and a bit weird to do a journal of them... it surprised me a lot.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand